Author Topic: NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event - JULY 19 in NYC  (Read 21987 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event - JULY 19 in NYC
« on: June 10, 2008, 07:27:10 am »
Thanks to Eve's excellent suggestion, I am moving this over to it's own topid (thanks to Wendy for letting us hi-jack her thread for so long...)

Seems that Mid-July is a possibility for a lunch of ANers in NYC.  Jan will be in NYC on the 15 and 16, and Wendy should be back from Florida then.  Lori will be at the NJ Shore, which may be train-able and Eve says she's in, Transear and all.

So, Jan and Wendy, can you pin down a date?

Once a date is set, who else wants to join in the fun?  We need someone to volunteer for the seating chart   ;D :D With all us SSD folk, that should be challenging!  I've volunteered to find a location, accessable to Penn Station for those who are training in on NJ Transit or AmTrack (also not too far from Grand Central, for those training in from CT or upstate NY).   Suggestions welcome...

So, who's in???

Debbi

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:43:15 pm by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:38:14 am »
I might be in interested !  :o  -- near the train wouild be a great idea !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jtd71465

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:17:55 am »
Sounds like fun....keep me posted and I'll try make the NYC trip. 

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:36:03 am »
Debbi -
I can't be sure what date I can make it until I have my date for surgery and find out when I need to go for pre-testing.  I should know for sure sometime the week after next.  I will be  leaving for Florida on July 3 and probably be home by the 16th, so I have to get my pre-testing done ASAP when I get home, assuming my surgery date is the 24th, as planned.  As soon as I know for sure I'll let you know.

Wendy

P.S.  By the way, I'm sort of embarrassed to ask this question, but the only message icons I can get to work are on the message icon menu.  Am I doing something wrong.  All the others just come out as leters when I click on them.
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:56 pm »
I'm working on the logistics a bit.  I have to figure out when we will have visitors at the shore first.  The major selling point for getting my husband to agree to this vacation every year is that we don't have to spend the entire time in the car going to visit everyone - we stay in one spot and they come to us.  And let me tell you, with my friends and family - all you need to do is say free vacation at the shore and they decend like a plague of locusts.

As soon as I know who will be coming and when, I can get a better idea of what's going on....I hope it works out!  I'd love to meet up with everyone!

We should have an easy time recognizing one another - just look for people who appear to be winking at you and snarling at the same time.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:20:20 pm »
I'm not sure I can pinpoint an exact date or time at the moment.  All I really know is that my plan is to be in NYC on the 15th and 16th with two 12 year olds in tow.  We will be taking some kind of train from NJ - have to ask my brother which one is the best - and I do have a hotel reservation at some "suites" (can't recall the specific ones right now) for both these nights.  We plan to do some sightseeing and perhaps see some kind of entertainment, but have no definite commitments at the moment.  We wing it a lot - can you tell?  ;)

Beyond that I really don't know any more details.   If it were just me I could commit to something definite, but having the kids with me kind of puts me on their schedule - since this is more their vacation than mine.  Like Lori mentioned, logistics come into play. 

I would say that you guys should finalize something and if I can make it I'll definitely be there.  Guess that makes me a "maybe".

Hope this all falls into place; it would be great to meet everyone.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jtd71465

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:49:14 pm »
Lori, aren't we considered family?  If so, I say we change plans, pack up the car and go down the Jersey Shore.  I can think of nothing better than listening to Bruce, hangin out with friends (family) and having a few brews.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

lori67

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:46:41 pm »
Hey, why not?  Plenty of sand for everyone!

I remember back in the good ole' days of going down the shore - as soon as you knew of one person who had a place down there, everyone would show up - sleep on the floor, the chairs, the bathtub, the front lawn....

Can't do that anymore - my back would hurt too much to be able to get up the next day! 

But, like I told my biological family - I paid the rent, so I get a bed.  Everyone else can fend for him/herself.  So, party at my place - bring your air mattresses and a heating pad for the crick in your back!   :)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:19:17 pm »
Hello!
I checked out the train stuff today but couldn't ever get it to give me the right afternoon times.  The more I got to thinking about it, the more I am not sure I can do it.  Addi will be with me and my in-laws are paying for her (well, me too for that matter) to come with me to BALTIMORE for a nice Mommy/Daughter get away to BALTIMORE. My MIL will not be as understanding about me wanting to run to NYC to meet up with friends.  I love her to death, but she is very much a "if you say you are doing 1 thing, do it - don't add more" - I about drove her crazy one time when I used an old entertainment center for a China cabinet!  It wasn't made for that!!!! (but it looked great & I got TONS of compliments on it!)  Guess you will all have to come to TEXAS!!!  ;D

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jimbo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 06:28:41 am »
Debbi,
I would love to attend, depending of course on upcoming surgery schedule.

Jimbo
7 x 12 mm AN diagnosed April 2008.
Leksell GK performed at Columbia-Presb July 2008

marymomof3

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:32:51 am »
Hi All!  Sorry I haven't been in touch for a little bit.  I would love to come to an AN lunch.  It would be great to finally put the faces with the posts!!  Debbi thanks for organizing this - and how are you feeling?

Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:42:22 am »
Hi All-

Okay, so here's the question - for the folks local, is mid week or weekend better?  Since Jan may not be able to make it (and who can blame her 12-year old twins for not wanting to spend time with a bunch of "old" folks??) we probably have some flexibility on date.  I am good either way, but would like to make sure as many of us can come as possible. 

As far as a location - I'm thinking Heartland Brewery which is on 34th St and 6th, at the Empire State Bldg.  It's about 2 blocks form Penn Station, and is very easy to find.  It is also large, which may make it a bit noiser - but location makes up for that.  Also, a very diverse menu to carnivores and vegans alike should be satisified!

So, let's hear from everyone on preferred dates (think July 16 or 19 or 20)...

Debbi - still infusing...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 07:27:26 am »
Debbi,

I would prefer July 16 but can make it on any day you specified. The restaurant will probably be less noisy on Tuesaday also, so it is something to consider. I am also hoping we can top those delicious apple dumplings in MA people rave about!  ;D

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:30:29 am »
I am also hoping we can top those delicious apple dumplings in MA people rave about!  ;D

nev'ah! ;)

Sounds like a good time for all... wish I could join you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 08:28:09 am »
Debbi -
The 16th is no good for me as we will probably just be returning home from Florida that day or the 17th.  I doubt they do pre-testing on the weekend so more than likely, the  19th would be good.  I just have to check and make sure if I am right about the pre-testing which I will do on Monday.  Hpoe all is well with you and you are feeling better.

Hugs to you for taking this task on.  I never dreamed so many people would be involved when I wrote to Jan after I found out she was coming to NYC.  If she doesn't make it, I hope I can still meet up with her somehow.

Jan and Lori - How long are you going to be in the NY/NJ area?  If the lunch ends up being on the weekend and either or both of you can't make it, I'd still like to meet up with you, if possible.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!