Author Topic: AN Book ...  (Read 21564 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
AN Book ...
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:00:10 am »
As some of you know, I've been toying with the idea of writing an AN book about my experience. As I write each page and get closer to the end, I've started thinking about possible titles. Anyone have any ideas?

Kaybo

Re: AN Book ...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:23:16 pm »
If you use it, do we get a cut of the profits!!    ;D  Just kidding...had to beat Jan to it!!  I'm SURE that Lori can think of something good...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:31:55 pm »
How about "I'm (not) All Ears?"  ...  okay, that was just silly - sorry. I haven't even had surgery yet and apparently the anesthesia has already gotten to me...

Seriously, I love the idea of a book! 

Debbi - blogging in NJ...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:56:47 pm »
How about "The Story of an AN"???  :-)
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »
Lorenzo (or his friend) gets credit for the best AN pun, which I think would make an excellent book title:

One Lump or Two?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:13:17 pm »
Actually I like the name of Deb's blog - Deb's AN Adventure.  I think it's very clever and it has a nice ring to it  8)

Obviously, you'd have to substitute your name for Deb's since it's your story not hers.

As for me - I think I should write a book about BAHAs - hopefully Lori will join me unless she's too busy assisting her husband with that garage/surgery business  ;D

BTW, nice new picture Scott.  I notice you've aged since the last one, though LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:45:54 am »
Maybe we could all contribute a chapter?   ;D

BTW, has anyone read "The Brain Changes Itself?"  I'm just starting it and it seems pretty amazing what out little old gray mass can actually do.

Scott - are you thinking of self publishing or getting a publisher?  I have a couple of clients who are in the process of writing books right now, so may be able to come up with a name or two on the publishing side if it would help.

Hey, in less than a week, I'll be a postie...

Debbi - trying not to jump right out of my skin in NJ
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:22:26 am »
Scottie,

Good to see you back!  I hope all is well with you and your family.  Your little girl must be doing amazing things now! (Does she like the water in the toilet bowl or the garbage better?) 
My suggestion for your book title is " My Journey from Within"
Good luck,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:36:07 am »
Well, I'm going back and forth with two different book ideas ...

One would be a personal memoir of my journey ... I've written close to 100 pages through all of my experiences so I was thinking of doing something with that.

The other idea (which I'm leaning towards) would be like some of you have mentioned and take 10 or 15 "stories" from AN folks like you and me, and compile them all in to one book. If you take people with 15 different experiences/cases, it might make for an interesting read for someone newly diagnosed ... there is bound to be at least one story that each person could relate to.

I'd be happy to write a chapter and coordinate the other chapters and actually put the book together. The tricky part is with publishing ... It's expensive to self publish, but that is an option. At the very least, a "book" like this would be something that we could share with newbies.

I brought this up on here about a year ago and things got too intense when people wanted me to supply contracts to them for writing their story and guarentee them a certain % of profits. That's when I let it go. I don't know that anything like this would make a penny, especially if self-published, but it would help people who are facing this AN crap and thats what I'm interested in. Obviously, if the book blew up we would share any profits, but until that happened, I think any money made would go back into any publsihing fees. This is all beyond the point. Way ahead of ourselves.

I guess the first thing to do would be to determine if there is enough interest from people on here with unique stories that would actually be willing to write 10 or so pages about their experience. Last time I brought this up, there was a lot of interest, but only two or three people that would actually commit to writing anything. I would think each chapter/writer would have a unique experience and write about something different. 

Mine would, for instance, tell my story of having two microsurgeries AND GK

Just throwing it out there again to gauge interest   :)

Oh, and Brenda, my little one (Addison) is almost 2! I can't believe it. She's growing like a weed and is no longer a baby. She's a little person now. It's crazy   :o

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:48 am »
I like the idea of input from various people, since we all know that everyone's AN experience is different.

You could have my story for free - no contract or royalties.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 09:13:10 am »
You're hire Jan   :)   What would be the focus of your "chapter"?

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 10:32:47 am »
Me again.  I'd commit to writing a chapter - of course, I need to get through the surgery first in order to know how it ends... 

I'd probalby want to take a humorous approach since humor has been much of what has helped me get through the tough days.

I actually am a contributing author to a business marketing book that is coming out later this year - not getting paid a dime for it, but that's not why I did it.   I think your approach is right on target - let's write something that might help others who are going through the AN experience.  Maybe a "chicken soup" approach?

Let's not lose this idea, okay?

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 10:55:45 am »
Awesome, that's 3 chapters commited. I figure we need about 12 chapters, 10-ish pages each, 120-ish page book.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 10:59:37 am »
Scott~
I have an Addison too -- she is 10 now -- I can't even believe it!

I would definitely commit to chapter -- I don't want to scare anyone off though -- I had it kind of rough, but I think (& the surgeon the other day said) I have a good attitude!!   ;D  That should count for something!  I don't want anything in return unless we're on Oprah -- I'd have to be included in that!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 11:16:49 am »
You're in. I think it's important to show what a textbook surgery is like and what a rough one is like. I've had one of each, so my story won't be all roses either. I think above all, new folks want to hear the truth. I did when I was new. I think this could be a very valuable thing if we can make it happen.