Author Topic: Phyl's Column in ANA Newsletter  (Read 21763 times)

sgerrard

Re: Phyl's Column in ANA Newsletter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 10:05:45 pm »
So if I come to Chicago in August 2009, I can meet Jan and Lori and check out their BAHAs, and then have a slightly dirty Grey Goose martini with Phyl, who will be wearing that fine dress in the picture that she wears all the time, and then have a JD with two Joes and a Crown Royal with Jan and a beer with Lori, and this is all at the brunch? How can I pass this up? I am assuming that conscious attendance at the actual symposium afterwards will be optional...  ;D

I will pencil it in, it is a possibility, I have been back to Chicago once already with less of a reason. I am glad they did not pick January, though.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:35 pm »
Steve -

it would be great if you could make it.  You can even bring the green hat you are going to knit for me.  Please make sure it's large enough to cover my BAHA though.  Oh yeah, and you may have to knit one for Lori too - as she's sure to be jealous of mine  ;D  She may or may not be bringing her husband, it depends on how busy his garage surgery business is in August. 

Seriously though, put it on your calendar.  We'd hate to have to drink without you - but we will if necessary :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 11:53:36 pm »
I haven't gotten a new newsletter yet either.   ???
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 06:21:53 am »
jb, please email the ANA and keep me updated if you don't get one. I do have an extra and the entire "Notes" it a definate good read.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 08:08:22 am »
Update on my issue of "Notes".

I sent the ANA an email on Monday through the website, but didn't get a response.
I called there yesterday morning and talked to "Marilyn" who said she'd be more than happy to mail me out a new one.

She doubled checked my address - which was correct - and said that my membership doesn't expire until June, so we pretty much figured it got "lost in the mail".  Maybe somewhere there is a mailman (sorry, mail person) reading my copy of "Notes" and finding out a whole lot about ANs.  LOL

I'm hoping the copy Marilyn mails to me gets here soon.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 01:49:15 pm »
Steve, if we're all unconscious at the symposium, we can all blame it on Post-AN fatigue.

Jan, August may be a slow month for the garage surgery business.  It's hot as heck here in Nashville in August and we don't have A/C in the garage.  But, he may have no choice - I may need more spending money for beer in Chicago. 

And can we get tickets to Oprah?  Maybe it'll be one of those shows where she gives things away.  I liked the refrigerator she gave away before Christmas, but I suppose I can settle for a new car.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 01:58:23 pm »
And can we get tickets to Oprah?  Maybe it'll be one of those shows where she gives things away.  I liked the refrigerator she gave away before Christmas, but I suppose I can settle for a new car.

Lori

You know, this may be something to ask Kate to look into since she seems to be very resourceful.  She should be back from her international tour any day now.  Maybe we can ask her to research this for us.  We have plenty of time until 8/09 so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to get tickets.  Maybe if we mention our AN treatments Oprah will take pity on us and give us not only new refridgerators, but new cars also  8)

I'm glad you didn't ask Steve for a knit hat.  Being new to this hobby, I don't know if he can complete 2 before next August - and I did ask first LOL

Jan

Cheryl R

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 02:17:30 pm »
No new cars although that would be nice.     New BAHAs and Transears!  She could afford it.         Since it is summer so they do tapings in the summer?           It would have  to be closed captioned for me too!
   Every so often on her website she has sweepstakes to win tickets to see the show but I have never got lucky and won.
                                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 03:15:12 pm »
Well, Jan, you're in luck - I'm not much of a hat person.  I was hoping maybe Steve could stitch me up a nice sweater.  And some matching socks.

Steve, you'd better get busy...

And what's this about Oprah not taping in the summer?  Must be nice.  I think I want her job.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 06:20:56 pm »
Yeah, I'm not much of a hat person either - especially the knit ones.  But on days like today when I had to shovel 6+ inches of snow off my driveway and sidewalk, they sure come in handy.  Can't remember the last time it snowed on Good Friday  ::)

Don't know much about Oprah's schedule - never looked into it.  Will have to do so.

Jan

lori67

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 09:06:21 pm »
Hmmm... then I guess I shouldn't mention it was 72 degrees and sunny here today....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 10:24:36 pm »
No way!!!   :o

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 07:39:04 am »
I emailed the Oprah Show this past week and asked for a show on the AN Symposium and if not then tickets for all of us!  I haven't heard anything, but I am going to start a call in campaign next week.  I figure if we start early enough, maybe we stand a chance.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 08:24:49 am »
Great thinking, Brenda.

Maybe the rest of us should email the show too.  I'll do that later today.

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 04:46:19 am »

Chicago is a wonderful place to host the symposium! 

Oprah tickets sound like fun, but comeon you guys, it has to be a CUBS game in August at Wrigley Fielld.  Pass the peanuts, hotdogs and beer!
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/