Author Topic: Did you have facial pain pre-treatment?  (Read 3063 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Did you have facial pain pre-treatment?
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »
Hi,

Long story, but I'll get to the gest of things.  Just want to know if any of you had facial issues before treatment.  I had a balance test yesterday and afterwards I had facial numbness.  I continue to have the numbness today  I called the doc's office yesterday, and the PA said that shouldn't be a symptom resulting from a balance test.  I wasn't able to call back today so if it continues I'll call tomorrow.  I know this is a post-treatment page, but I thought maybe you could give me some feedback about facial numbness before treatment.  I am still very confused about what this AN is doing to me.  Thanks.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Did you have facial pain pre-treatment?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:05:07 pm »
Nancy Drew,

I had facial issue before I was diagnosed.  I thought it was sinus related.  Sometimes I still feel like my face is going to explode.  When I get a migraine headache my face goes numb so I never thought anything of it.  When my hearing went and dizziness became an issue that's when I knew this is more than sinuses and migraines.

Good luck with getting answers.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Nancy Drew

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:23:26 pm »
Hopefully my issue has resolved itself.  This morning I woke up with no facial pain.  So perhaps the balance test did irritate my ear and move into my face.  I have a long history of migraines and sinus issues as well.  I often feel pain in my face on my AN side with both, but this incident was different.  Glad it is gone and hopefully I won't have any AN facial issues in the future.  Thanks for your reply.  Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

mk

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:41:32 pm »
Hi Nancy,

ANs can cause facial numbness when they affect the trigeminal nerve. It is not very common but it can happen, although usually with ANs that are larger than yours. In my case it all started by having a metallic taste, then numbness around the mouth (felt like when the dentist uses the novocaine injection before doing dental work). It slowly started to propagate and now covers much of the right(AN) side. Also causes dry eye, because of the reduced sensation in the cornea. Other than that I haven't had any other symptoms, and this is what prompted my family doctor to order the MRI.
The numbness has stayed the same after GK. Overall it is not that bad, I just wish that this is the only symptom that I will have and I can live with it.

Given that your AN is small, hopefully your numbness is not because of it, and you won't have any other issues.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:09:16 am »
Thanks mk for your reply.  I am sorry that you have the numbness.  Hopefully the positives outway the negatives.  I am considering the GK and just crossing my fingers at this point that all will go ok.  I think all of us have our stories to tell.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could all come away with totally positive stories to tell.  Since we will live with these ANs forever, then I guess we will always be on guard.  A big hang in there to everyone out there in the AN world.  nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs