Author Topic: Has anyone used Restasis?  (Read 15572 times)

mk

Has anyone used Restasis?
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:17:56 pm »
Has anyone used Restasis for dry eyes around here? I heard from a colleague today that it is used to treat severe dry eye due to autoimmune disorders (like Sjogrens syndrome). It is available by prescription. Obviously the cause for dry eyes is very different in our case, but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard about Restasis being used for patients with neurological deficits. I heard that it helps in tear production - my eye doesn't tear at all, so I thought that this could be interesting. I am planning to ask my doctor at my next visit, but in the meanwhile any ideas?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Brewers7

Re: Has anyone used Restasis?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »
I have been using it for several months now.  My opthomologist said that it was not really for my type problems, but I wanted to give it a shot.  He said that it would take at least a month to notice a difference.  No change.  At least one person on the forum (lori67, I think) said it helped.  If you try it, I recommend that you keep it in the fridge;  it feels better when it is cool.  My doctor said to put it in before I put in ointment.  Some people have said that it should say in for 15 minutes before ointment is applied, but my doctor did not specify a time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:39:04 pm by Brewers7 »
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:06:19 pm »
I tried it - mostly at my request.  It was a big pain in the rear trying to get it timed before my Refresh PM and my contact in my good eye AND i think it made my eyes MORE DRY...especially now that I am not doing it.  In fact, I was a little incredulous when the Dr told me that I needed it in my good eye - I never even knew I had a problem.  However, now I noticed EVERY morning when I get up!!

I'm sure everyone is different...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:12:08 am »
My optho put me on it 2xs a day.  Along with artifical tears. (I'm not the greatest at using regular).   Said it needs to be consistant in order to work.   I DO think it helped some after using it cosistant after awhile.
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:47:21 pm »
Someone at the 2009 ANA Symposium in Chicago said that one of the docs speaking mentioned that Restasis was a good option for eye issues.

I've never tried anything more than "heavy duty" eye drops, but my eye issues are very minor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »
Thank you for your answers. I did a quick keyword search and it seems that quite a few have tried it, with varied results. As always in the AN world, everyone is different. I guess it is worth trying, and what makes it more appealing is that it is available by prescription, so insurance would cover it. I will ask the ophthalmologist if he will prescribe it for me on my next visit.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:48:18 pm »
Just know that even with a script, it can be VERY costly.  I have GREAT insurance and don't usually pay much for scripts but with the coupon they gave me for the first time, it was still over $40...I want to say $80 after that...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:44:01 pm »
I used it for a while and seemed to be having good results, but then I developed a bump on the inside of my eyelid (called a chelazion), which was something totally new and hurt like heck!  It was a tiny little bump, but felt like I had a boulder in my eye.  My doctor didn't think it was related to the Restasis so I kept using it.  I went out of town and forgot to pack the Restasis so I went a few days without and oddly, the bump went away.  Got back home, started using it again, the bump came back.  So, I think it's safe to say, the Restasis was causing this bump.  Stopped using it and explained that all to my doctor at my next appointment and she didn't believe me because that's "never happened".  I said, well, we AN patients like to do things that the rest of the world never does.   She wanted me to try it again to see what happened, but I really didn't feel like risking being in pain again.  My eyes are not horribly dry and I find regular artificial tears provide enough relief if my AN eye does start to feel dry.

I do know of non-AN patients who have used Restasis with good results and I realize my reaction was odd and who knows, maybe it didn't cause the bump.  I have decided to just leave well enough alone.  I'd say give it a try and see if it helps.  You never know! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

texsooner

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:18:12 am »
About 3 months after my surgery, I tried Restasis (like Kay, at my request) and used it every day for about 6 weeks. It did not help me at all, so gave it up. I still have the dry eye on the AN side and produce no tears, but a couple of drops daily of Refresh Celluvisc and some Refresh PM lube at night are all I need now. Restasis seems to be hit and miss, so it's worth a shot if your eye is very dry.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

ombrerose4

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:55 pm »
I also tried Restasis for my dry eye. I used it for 3-4 months but did not find that it helped so I stopped using it. Check with your insurance to see if it is covered. I had to get prior authorization- my doctor had to call insurance co. and explain why I needed it and then they gave the okay. Let us know if it helps.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:51 pm »
LORI,

Oh my, I actually developed a bump on my upper eyelid too and on & off it has been irritating.  You can visually see it, but I feel it & know it's there.   My doctor told me the 'bump' was actually one of the tissues oil glands that is swollen some and she said probably because the Restasis is helping.  HMMMM, makes me wonder now.   I think I may stop it for a bit and see if 'bump' goes away.     Some of us just can't win!  ;)

Denise (MI)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

lori67

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 09:06:38 am »
Denise,

If it turns out that's what caused your bump, I'm going to bring you to my doctor for show and tell so I can say "SEE!  I TOLD YOU!".

The only way I knew mine was there, aside from the constant irritation, was when I kinda lifted my eyelid up a bit and looked under there.  There was clearly a white bump.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ombrerose4

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 12:45:50 pm »
I was also having an issue with my tear/oil glands being blocked when I was on Restasis. My doctor would manually open them by squeezing them to release the built up oil- it hurt!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 04:58:02 pm »
Denise,

If it turns out that's what caused your bump, I'm going to bring you to my doctor for show and tell so I can say "SEE!  I TOLD YOU!".

The only way I knew mine was there, aside from the constant irritation, was when I kinda lifted my eyelid up a bit and looked under there.  There was clearly a white bump.

Lori

OOPS, mine was supposed to say can'T visually see it

LORI,  LOL, as long as you pay the travel fees I'm up for being used as show & tell!  HAHA    I too have tried to lift up my eyelid to see something.  Even had hubby look, but seen nothing.  I think I will have to try to look again.   I have not been using my Restasis at all for about 4 days.  My eyes DO feel drier because of it, but my 'lump' is still there.       SO, since you did decide to continue to not use it, did it go away for good???     How do your eyes feel now?  What all do you use?

Now the last post (?Lauren?) now OUCH, that sounds like it would hurt for sure!!!!

Sure seems ODD that 3 of us for sure have had some strange thing from the Restasis, and our doctors probably aren't sure what to think.    I'm not due to go back for about 6 weeks.  I'll have to say something FOR SURE about this topic!!

Denise

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 10:01:20 am »
I quit the Restasis & guess what?   My 'lump' on my eye lid is gone!!!   Not sure what to think now after reading these posts & quitting and having it be gone.   Leads me to believe FOR SURE the Restatsis had something to do with it.

Now, wonder if I should start it up again & see if lump comes back before I see the dr. again.   Do notice my eyes are drier, which is a bummer!