Author Topic: translab & hearing aid  (Read 2309 times)

pstressel

• Caffeine Pit Stop
translab & hearing aid
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:54:51 am »
I had an AN removed about 8 years ago.  I had to have the translab surgery, so the hearing on my right side was completely taken.  This has not been an issue for me all these years and I have lived with it fine.  However, I am now in training for a job that requires that I be able to listen and hear what is going on around me.  I need to be aware of things going on around me, not just at my desk.  I am not one to listen in on other conversations so part of what I have to overcome is not physical.  But being deaf in my right ear when I sit in the far left desk can make this very challenging.  This job means a lot to me, so now I am wondering if there is a hearing aid, or some kind of aid that may be able to help me overcome this.  As I said, I never felt at a disadvantage before so I never had a reason to inquire into this before, but now I'm afraid I need something to help.  Thanks for any information anyone might be able to pass my way. ~Pat
succsessful translab  2.5 cm right side
left some paralysis
surgery date 1/02 Dr Brackman and Hitselberger HEC

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: translab & hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:42:39 pm »
Pat -

check out the BAHA @ www.cochlearamericas.com

You can try a demo at the office of any doctor who does the implant.  I think you'll like what you hear.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CNY

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:11:06 pm »
I use a combination of a wireless microphone and a small receiver that sends sounds to my right ear.  I use it at work -- setting up the microphone on my deaf side.  My wife wears the mike when we are out at a restaurant etc.  It was easy to test it out in the audiologist's office & I took it for a (30 day?) trial before purchase.

I know some people use transear or Bi-cross systems as well.  The soundbite system looks interesting -- it is in trials now.

Here's info from the manufacturer about the Phonak system I've been using since January:

info about the zoomlink+ FM microphone transmitter:
http://verve.phonak.com/consumer/products/fm/transmitters_new/com_zoomlink.htm

There is additional info in the .pdf file at the bottom of the page.

This system is designed to work with a variety of hearing aids, including cochlear implants.

My hearing is fine in one ear so I use the isense micro receiver:
http://verve.phonak.com/consumer/products/fm/receivers_new/isense_-_micro.htm

--Greg.
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 05:49:49 pm »
Interesting info, Greg. How big is the ZoomLink and how do you wear it?

Thanks,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CNY

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:30:23 am »
The zoomlink (microphone) is about 3 1/2 inches long by 1 inch by 1/2 inch.  The speaker can wear it around their neck -- the lanyard is also the FM antenna.    This option works best if your partner wears it.  This hearing solution is also often used in school settings: the teacher wears the microphone.  I think there is also a clip-on type of microphone designed for outdoor use but I haven't tried it or seen it.

At work I usually leave the microphone on my desk pointing toward the speaker (on my SSD side).  I have also attended small conferences: I talk with the speakers before the session starts & leave the microphone in good spot on the podium so I can hear more clearly.

I don't think it is the perfect solution-- it depends upon placing the microphone in the proper place - but I find it helpful. 

--Greg.
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)