Author Topic: Great telephone/MP3 headset/headphone solution  (Read 2754 times)

Cynaburst

Great telephone/MP3 headset/headphone solution
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:53:23 pm »
So I found a great music listening/telephone talking inexpensive headphone solution that I thought I would share.  I got a BlackBerry and I downloaded all of my music onto it to use as an MP3 as well as a phone.  Initially I used regular earbuds and just let one of the buds hang, but I realized that I was only getting half of the sound.  I also hated the other bud flapping around, so I decided to order a mono headset/microphone for use with a BlackBerry.  It is amazing!  In addition to costing only about $5, I can now hear both channels in my one ear, and the microphone works fine for talking on the phone.  The sound quality is great for us one eared folks, and the price can't be beat.  Also, my neurosurgeon recommends using a headset for talking on the cellphone anyway, as he thinks that there is a connection between cellphones and ANs, so having one ear, I don't want to take any chances.

This is the headset I got.  I like it so much I just ordered some extras:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380107143302

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Great telephone/MP3 headset/headphone solution
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:56:03 am »
Great info, thanks for sharing it; lots will find it very helpful.

I have a mono plug adapter http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690&tab=summary and a single ear plug that I use with my iPod and it works incredibly well.

These are wonderful devices - and it's great that the one you purchased can also be used for the telephone.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cynaburst

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:32:47 pm »
I had actually bought that mono adapter before based on recommendations I found here, but when I tried it on my BlackBerry, it didn't work for some reason.  That was why I was so excited to find this, and for $5, you can't beat it!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41:30 pm »
I never tried my mono plug on a phone - only on my iPod - so I don't know if it would work.  I don't own a Blackberry but many people do, so this is very valuable information. 

I'm glad you found something that works so well for you, and as you say, you can't beat the price  ;D

Jan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:43:27 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:09:50 am »
Cynaburst,

Thanks for the information and link - very interesting.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ChrisB

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:07:31 am »
I didn't see our Blackberries (8100 Pearls) listed from this particular seller on eBay, so I took a chance and ordered one I THOUGHT would be compatible.  It wasn't (I didn't realize the plug size varies between 2.5mm and 3.5mm in the various models).  I got a 3.5mm version and the Pearl only has a 2.5mm plug.  Radio Shack (and others, including the Verizon store) have adapters, but I also found out that there must be a 3-band plug, not a 2-band plug (small rings between the metal segments in the plug itself), among other things.

I left top-notch feedback for the seller because he kept up his end of the transaction wonderfully (shipping was included in that under-$5 price and it only took 2 days), but wrote him a note to suggest putting an additional line in the description of the items noting that various models have different sized plugs.  His response?  He just said send the two back, including the one I'd opened and tried to use, and he would send me ones specifically made for the 8100 - and he didn't even wait to receive mine back!  He just said to "stick a couple of bucks" in the envelope to cover his shipping cost on the replacements (I sent him $5).

I had a 2-hr each way trip last Saturday, and it was the shortest 2-hour trip I've taken in a long time - listening to a seminar and lots of music from MP3 files was great (sound quality is surprisingly good for this inexpensive device).  It doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles - the button only answers a call, thereby shutting down the MP3, and when the call is over the MP3 starts right back up where it stopped before the call.  I called my wife at home and she compared the sound from the clip-on microphone and my blue tooth and said the blue tooth was better, but not by much - the inexpensive device was quite acceptable she said.

So the bottom line is, write that particular seller first if you don't see one for your exact model - he may have one.  His service can't be beat, and with shipping included I have no idea how he does it.  Thanks to Cynaburst for the link!

Chris

Cynaburst

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:09:02 pm »
So glad you liked it Chris. I also have had great experiences with this guy, and I am having a great time with my BlackBerry thanks to this earpiece.

BTW, just FYI, blue tooth headsets emit the same amount of radiation as the cellphone does, so you are still at increased risk for brain tumors from the radiation from the Bluetooth headset.  This is a much better alternative as you don't want to jepoardize the hearing in your only good ear.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:22:34 am »
Good info...thanks. Now if I can just find a waterproof mono adapter... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org