Author Topic: graduating ??  (Read 2399 times)

Keri

graduating ??
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:24:25 pm »
Since it's that time of year, I wonder who among us is graduating or has kids graduating.

My son, Scott, is graduating from high school on Friday.  He'll be the first of my kids to graduate (my oldest is in special ed and won't graduate for 2 more years). So, I'm new to the whole 'joy and tears' thing. Then he's shipping out to basic training in the USAF in several weeks. Like I was when I was pre-op, I'm not thinking about that too much yet - too difficult!

So if any of you have graduates, congratulations!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

wendysig

Re: graduating ??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:12:33 am »
Keri -

Congratulations on your son's gaduation.  I'm sure especially in these times, it's difficult to have a son going into the armed services.  My girls are still in middle school and and high school.  Sam's finishing 7th grade and Jen is just finishing her fresman year of high school.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:52:17 am »
Congratulations, Keri!
Dave, my caregiver whom you met at the brunch, has two children.  His daughter is graduating from high school on Friday, too.  She is class valedictorian and has to give a speech!  She's off to BU (on the marathon route) in late August.
Don't worry too much about your son.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 05:59:39 am »
Keri,

Congrats on your son's graduation....seems that we have a little more in common as our youngest son Adam just graduated high school this last weekend. Now I'm getting ready to pay for 2 kids at the same time in college. The time flies fast.   

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:02:27 am »
Been there done that 4 times. lol...Also been thru 2 basic training grads.  Its after basic training grad that I started to worry where my son would be stationed. Ended up way out west. then both boys served in afganistan and one also did a tour in Bonsia 8 yrs ago. My time flies...Your entitled to your tears. We've earned it as parents.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:30 am »
Keri~
Good question to get everyone to chatting!  ;D  My girlies are still a little young for HS or College graduation, but I know that that time will come long before I am ready!  However, it was a bit of a special year for us as it was the ONLY year that all 3 were in the same school - I had a 5th grader, 1st grader and Kidergartener.  Next year, not only will we be starting Middle School, but it will be the 1st time in years that I have everyone in full day school (Addi will be dismissed at 3:19 - how weird is that?).  I guess I will need to really start looking for a part time job - one that actually PAYS money!

Good Luck to everyone - especially those traveling to graduations!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:03 am »
My oldsest son graduated from high school last year and the other son graduates next year - I'm still trying to adjust to the new dynamics of our family life.  I'm enjoying some aspects, but miss other aspects of it...guess that's life, right!
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:46:42 am »
Hi Keri,

Congratulations on your son's graduation. My son also graduated from high school this year. He kept me busy helping him get ready for prom etc. My daughter graduated from University this year, so it has been quite a year. All the commotion helped me to keep my focus away from myself for awhile. It has been good.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:43 am »
Two of my nieces are graduating from high school this year. Well, one already has and one will Friday.

Next year I will have one daughter graduating from college and one from middle school. They also celebrated joint graduations from middle school and kindergarten. I will also have another niece and a nephew graduate from high school in 2010. It will be a miracle if everything falls on its own weekend.

Sara
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:54:30 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Lainie181818

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 05:15:16 pm »
MY son graduates from UCLA on Friday. He will have a Physics degree but no job. Anyone looking for a physicist?
Lainie.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 06:43:02 pm »
My youngest son graduates in a few weeks from high school.  I'll have all four of my sons in post secondary schools.  There goes my $$$$$$$$$$

My brother-in-law is getting married July 4 and he announced it to the family last week.  Party time  ;D he is only 42 and has been living with his fiancee for 10 years.  Actually my father-in-law requested he gets married before he passes.  The old family honour. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 07:09:27 pm »
congrats to you all that have loved ones graduating from schools this year. My niece (does she count since I didn't birth the child?) graduated high school in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago.. and I'm feeling old... granted, my nephew is now in his 30s. I'm too young to have nephews and nieces this old.

Congrats to  you all and for those prepping to attend college/universities.... hold on to the bank accts as best as you can! :D

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:37:22 pm »
Congrats Keri and please thank your son for us for choosing to serve our country....and congrats to all with kids moving on.

I'm one of the lucky ones. My youngest in getting her masters degree (on a full scholarship to boot) so i haven't been paying college tuition for a year....well I take that back....still paying the loans.... >:(
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org