Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

First consult today - watch and wait? Sudden hearing loss, anyone?

<< < (3/3)

BT:
Hello life is beautiful,

I have had sudden hearing loss before as well.  That is actually how I discovered my AN.  About a year and a half ago I woke up one morning and could not hear a thing out of my left ear.  It also felt very full.  I went to and ENT and they did a hearing test.  I literally could not hear one of the beeps or words or anything out of my left ear but had perfect hearing in my right ear.  The ENT suggested a steroid shot in my ear...which I did.  He also suggested getting an MRI just in case.  My hearing came back completely 3 days later, and so did my MRI showing a 4 x 2.5mm AN.  When I did a 2nd hearing test on that day I had perfect hearing in both ears again.  The entire office at my ENT was shocked!

I have not had any hearling loss since that time.  I had a 2nd MRI after 6 months that showed no growth.  I was told by my ENT that I should now wait 1 year between MRI's unless one shows growth.  I am due for my yearly MRI in September...Right around my 28th birthday.

Tisha:
Hi,

I just read your post and MK pretty much told you what I would have.  I did have SHL 3 weeks after CK, but with a strong round of steroids my hearing came back.  However, I went from perfect hearing 20db in the 6000-8000 frequencies to 45-55 db and it has stayed that way the past 5 months.  Thankfully, the conversational frequence went back to normal, but I'm still a bit bummed.

You can have another episode like MK did.  Also, Dr. Chang told me that at my age, 48 at diagnosis, that I would loss my hearing eventually if I did nothing.  So....that's when I decided I couldn't stay in W&W.  I just couldn't stand by and loss it by doing nothing.  Just my personality.  He did mention I would loss it because i was already having symptoms...tinny hearing, full feeling, loud backgrounds in restaurants, etc.  I've noticed that those have decreased.

I think that with a small tumor like yours, I probably would have W&Wed for awhile...to see if it would grow.  If it did I would take steps immediately, but again, that's just me.  Some people have the will and persistence to wait it out.  I was impatient.  Good luck with your decision!

Tisah

Esperanza:
I had sudden and profound hearing loss and it was indeed this along with the vertigo attack which sparked the MRI which led to my
diagnosis of AN - had no noticable hearing loss before - was talking to my sister on a long phone call with no problems the evening before it went.  The steroids didn't work for me but then I was taking the wrong dose to begin with and didn't start them until 10 days following the loss.
I had been booked for a shot in the ear before the results came in but didn't go following advice that as it was a tumour it would be pointless (interesting to read of the return following an injection).  Personally, if I had any kind of chance of saving my hearing with surgery or radiotherapy (knowing what I know now!)  I wouldn't hang around on W & W.    
All the best on your AN journey..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version