Author Topic: insurance coverage ending  (Read 4749 times)

sarahinPA

insurance coverage ending
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:21:07 pm »
hello everyone! i have a qucik question if anyone can help!

i am 6 months post GK, just had my 6 month MRI with not change in the tumor. I am currently serving with an Americorp Program site as my employment with health benefits. As of Sept 1st i will no longer have benefirs because my service year will come to an End. Americorp does not offer COBRA insurance so i can not extend it that way. I am job seeking for a position that offers benefits, but i do not find one soon i will be without come 9/1. does anyone have any ideas or insurance comapnies taht i can turn towards now that i have AN which is a pre existing condition?

please any information woudl be a great help!

i live in PA and have been denied for state help, so i am on my own in finding a company!

thanks alot! sarah
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: insurance coverage ending
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:47:46 pm »
Sarah ~

If you find employment before September 1st, your employer's group plan will have to cover your pre-existing condition.  It's called 'continuing coverage'. 

If you have to buy individual medical coverage, there are a variety of options available.  Blue Cross/Blue Shield sell individual medical insurance polices in PA.  Some phone numbers (toll-free)

Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield (800) 544-6679

Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania and Blue
Shield
(800) 829-8599

Capital Blue Cross and Blue Shield  (800) 958-5558

Independence Blue Cross and Blue Shield  (800) 555-7514

The Pennsylvania Department of Insurance Regional Consumer Office can offer you more precise insurance information. http://www.insurance.state.pa.us/  Their phone number is (877) 881-6388. 

If your income is low enough, you may be eligible for state assistance in purchasing a health care plan.  Call The Office of Medical Assistance Programs at the Department of Public Welfare @ (717) 787-1870 to check on that option and how you would be eligible for assistance with purchasing health insurance with a pre-existing condition.  It is possible but you have to look for it - and make some calls.  It's worth it. 

I hope this information is useful and at least gives you a start in the right direction in being able to maintain health insurance coverage. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Re: insurance coverage ending
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:20:08 pm »
Yeah, the thing with getting insurance on your own that is not group insurance (from an employer), aka private insurance. They have the option to not accept you on their policy. It's a whole different ball game. Back in 2002 when I got laid off and had no insurance, none of them would cover my middle school daughter because she had migrains. They wouldn't even cover even though I was willing to sigh a paper that said they were not liable for anything that was related to her migrains. Ended up having to get a very expensive, low coverage (basically emergency care) policy for her from the state. Maybe things have changed, but I wouldn't bet on it. :(

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.