Author Topic: Medicare?  (Read 4430 times)

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Medicare?
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:54:05 pm »
I just put "Medicare" in the search field, and to my amazement only a few things came up, most of which had to do with BAHA.  Hey, where are all you other old farts?

I have just about decided on using Dr. Shahinian at the Skull Base Institute, but they don't take Medicare!  When I asked why, the woman said that they didn't renew their contract with Medicare because Medicare only pays $1,000 for brain surgery!  Is that true?  She said sometimes they can get the secondary to act as primary, but I really doubt it.  So.........that leaves me with the question:  if Medicare pays so low (which I don't doubt) do other doctors take it?  And, since more than one doc is usually involved, how much will I end up paying if, for economic reasons, I go with traditional surgery?  Has anyone been down this path?

Come to think of it, most of you with pictures look pretty young.  And here I thought this was a problem mostly of old people!
Sharon

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Medicare?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 04:24:24 am »
I only have part A of Medicare because I receive disability.  I, of course didn't have it for the brain surgery so I don't know what it would pay for that.  I do know that they have paid fairly large amounts for my other hospital stays.  I have United Healthcare through my husband's work and they  pay about ten per cent of what is charged, but because of having the contracts with the providers, that is all they have to pay.  Medicare has made it possible for me not to have to pay huge deductibles.  I was sent a book from Medicare and it explains how they pay and what percentage, through contracts with providers.  After reading through the book, I find that Medicare pays far better than United Healthcare.  Just my opinion.  Insurance is a huge rip off.  In my opinion, the insurance companies are the only ones getting rich!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »
Sharon ~

When I had my surgery in 2006, I was a lad of 63 and still covered by Blue Cross.  They paid just about all of the $100,000.-plus cost of my surgery (doctor fees & hospital charges).  Unfortunately, due to their notably lower fee reimbursement, many doctors won't accept Medicare patients ,so you'll have to call around.  My neurosurgeon accepts Medicare so I'm O.K. for my annual MRI scans and consult.  Whew! 

Good luck - and let us know what you find regarding surgeons who accept Medicare insurance because this is a very relevant issue for (ahem) some of us.  ;)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:39:17 pm »
Well, I phoned House because the information on their site about Medicare seemed a bit cryptic.  I phoned, and was transferred to a young lady with a heavy Spanish accent, who was even more cryptic.  I didn't write down what she said, which I should have done, but it's something like they're a Medicare provider but you have to come up with the money then wait for Medicare to reimburse you.   I forget the exact terminology she used, but it would only make sense to someone who works with medical insurance. 
I asked if that meant that I'd eventually have everything paid for, and she said yes, but I don't think either of us understood each other.
Sharon