Author Topic: Hearing aid questions  (Read 3310 times)

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
Hearing aid questions
« on: June 08, 2009, 03:20:37 pm »
Hi everyone,
I guess it's a bit early, but I've read a lot about Jan's BAHA and I'm realizing that maybe I can't work it out as a teacher in the classroom with 26 pupils without some sort of hearing aid for my SSD. I'm soon three weeks post-op but anyway I'm wondering how soon after the surgery that one can begin testing what kind of hearing-aid that is suitable. Do I have to wait for the first appointment with the surgeons in August or can I make an appointment earlier? I think that the SSD is a bit tricky and right now I'm only at home together with my family. On Wednesday I will go to school for an hour and say good-bye and good luck to my pupils, because they're moving on to grade 6 and I'll get a new grad 4-class in August. After that I'll meet with all my collegues for a cup of coffe. It's the first time since surgery and I'm really looking forward to it.  :) We'll see how that will work out. I'm afraid I won't hear anything because of the fact that usually everyone is talking at the same time  :o

I know that there are a couple of teachers here on the forum, are there any of you who wear a hearing aid that works in the classroom? I would very much appreciate to hear what works and doesn't work.

Love to you all from Helene  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
Re: Hearing aid questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:31:34 pm »
Hi  Helene , I feel for you as a teacher with SSD when I was growing up as a student of SSD in the 70's  it was hard to listen to the teacher so I missed alot not including my ADHD but that is a nother subject lol.I got my BAHA surgery in April  I think it would be a great help for you in the class room of coarse Jan can help you on the surgery date I am just wishing you good luck on your out come. I know some people the surgery the same time as the AN surgery but do not know of anyone that did it after the AN and how long before the BAHA sorry.
                                                                                                                          Mike Corso
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:51:38 pm »
Helene .....

I did not take time to go back and look at your earlier posts, but are you totally SSD ..... no sound whatsoever in your AN ear or just greatly reduced hearing in that ear?  I was thinking you had a small amount of hearing after surgery ...... 

My surgeon told me I could expect to see improvement in my very reduced hearing for up to three months after surgery (although I do not think it improved any).  I did not have an audiogram until three months after surgery and then again at 12 months post-op (with no change from 3 months out).

As a former teacher, I know it will be more challenging teaching if you are SSD, but not insurmountable.  You will find yourself adapting your teaching style to adjust to this difference (placing your known problem students on your good side, etc.).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:30:33 pm »
Helene -

IMO it's never too early to start thinking about options for helping you cope with your SSD.  As soon as I was conscious enough post op to realize how silent my "bad" ear was, I asked my neurotologist what my options were.  He told me to work on getting released from the hospital - we had plenty of time to discuss the next steps  :D

Anyway, you know I highly recommend the BAHA, so I'm not going to elaborate on wonderful I have found it to be. 

If you think it's a good option for you, I'd start with the demo which you should be able to try once your head is "healed" from your AN surgery.  I suggest asking your doctor(s) for their definition of "healed" and go from there.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:49:31 pm »
Helene~
Even though I think that the BAHA is a GREAT thing and am starting to think that I "MIGHT" check into it, I was not aware of it after I had surgery.  I could be wrong, but I really don't think it was around then - if it was nobody told me about it!  Anyway, I was in the classroom for 5.5 years after my surgery without anything and was completely SSD.  It wasn't the BEST thing but the kiddos & I seemed to do OK.  I was in 1st grade for 1.5 years after and 3rd the others...I don't teach anymore but am with kids and adults in ALL kinds of noisy environments all the time now & that is OK too - some obviously better than others! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:00:16 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your helpful answers! As always one gets so much good information here on the forum. A special thanks to Kaybo and Clarice who both are teachers and really know what it's like in the classroom. I e-mailed one of my doctors today to ask him when he thinks I'm healed and then I'll see how we can go further. If I have to wait a couple of months to see if some hearing comes back or if I'm totally SSD, which I think, but maybe there is some hearing left. Probably, I'll adjust being a SSD-teacher by time, but it was a bit confusing today when I visited my pupils and collegues. I had to look at the person talking and also turn my good ear towards him or her and also look at the lips to be able to hear what he/she was saying, but I shouldn't complain, I'm getting better and better and stronger and stronger day by day   :D

Thanks and hugs to you all from Sweden   :D

Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:39:21 pm »
Helene~
Not to minimize SSD - it wasn't EASY for me, but I did it!  I definitely do better when I can see the person's face that is speaking.  Also, I have no directional hearing...I just always have a good laugh at how I must look always turning around & around trying to figure out who is calling my name!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!