Author Topic: Sizes of Acoustic Neuromas  (Read 6069 times)

ghenier27

Sizes of Acoustic Neuromas
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »
Ok, I decided today that I would go and get copies of the MRI & MRI report along with the hearing tests so next week, after I talk to the doctor here .I could send this information to House Ear. I was shocked when I read the report to see that my AN is 16 mm x 7 mm. Is this considered to be large? Debi

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Sizes of Acoustic Neuromas
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:55:30 pm »
Debi ......

One of the moderators will probably reply also, but to my knowledge, generally speaking an AN under 2 cm (20mm) is considered small.  Here is a link to a different way of looking at the growth of ANs:  http://anworld.com/stages/  Keep in mind that ANs do not stay spherical in shape because they form within the auditory canal ..... therefore no two ANs are exactly the same since each of our brains/canals have unique shapes/sizes.

Keep us posted on how your treatment options (which you have several) are given to you ..... and be sure to ask any and all questions of your physicians and here on this Forum.  We are here to help in any way we can.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:07:00 pm »
OK, I decided today that I would go and get copies of the MRI & MRI report along with the hearing tests so next week, after I talk to the doctor here.  I could send this information to House Ear. I was shocked when I read the report to see that my AN is 16 mm x 7 mm. Is this considered to be large?

No.  Your AN is 1.6 centimeters x .0.007 centimeters, which is considered small.  For comparison, mine was 4.5 centimeters upon discovery.  However, as Clarice noted, AN tumors change shape as they grow and their exact location is easily as important as their size.  Some 'small' ANs have caused big problems for patients.  Conversely, some large ANs (such as mine) didn't cause many problems until they were very large.  Fortunately, doctors were able to debulk my large AN, then treat the remainder with FSR (radiation), all with good results.  You'll likely have options with your small AN.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ghenier27

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:51:56 pm »
Thank you for easin this ole gal's mind! I got to reading the doctor MRI report and I thought
" OMG! That's HUGE!' Then all of the other information on it and started thinking -maybe I shouldn't have read this thing afterall.  :o   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »
1.6 cm is indeed small - and should give you both the option of surgery or radiation.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:43:37 pm »
[No.  Your AN is 1.6 centimeters x .0.007 centimeters, which is considered small. 

Make that 1.6 cm x 0.7 cm. Still small. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 07:00:40 am »
correct... FYI only... 10mm = 1cm (think of 10 cents x 10 = 1 dollar)... and yes, deemed "small"

Phyl

[No.  Your AN is 1.6 centimeters x .0.007 centimeters, which is considered small. 

Make that 1.6 cm x 0.7 cm. Still small. :)

Steve
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 07:34:50 pm »
When they first diagnosed me the radiologist put that I had a 11cm tumor  :o . My ENT had to call and rectify the misprint. I thought I was heading for the book of world records. Thankfully you caught it early and have some options and time. God Bless....
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!