Author Topic: What side affects could I expect from GK  (Read 3177 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
What side affects could I expect from GK
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:36:35 pm »

My Doctors have told me I will need radiotherapy and has told me I will go to sheffield for GK, What side affects can I expect if any?

MAny questions Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

gordy

Re: What side affects could I expect from GK
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:53:48 pm »
i didnt have any bad side affects. only thing that bothered me for a few days was the tender spots on my forhead where they bolted the screws on.  good luck to you and make sure that you have a few days to take it easy.

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 04:38:19 pm »
Hi Cheryl,
After my treatment, I had a little fatigue for a few days. I also had some soreness where the pins were attached in the back. There was a little bit of "oozing", but it was tested and not infected. I alternated heat and cold packs, and that did a great job of aleviating the pain.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:59:23 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

I hear Sheffield does good GK and I believe (I'd really have to dig on this one) that one or 2 on the forums were treated there... will check.

I think the side affects are the same for radio, regardless if its GK, CK, FSR, Trilogy, etc.

fatigue... ear fullness... vertigo.. .balance issues... these seem to be many side affects that many have discussed here in the forums.  I know you are quite versed that "individual results may vary", so not all folks are experiencing some or all of these issues... but, your doc should be sitting down with you to discuss all risks and potential side affects with radio treatments.  Also, please check the Radiation Forum here... as there have been many discussions about some of these side affects.

As Gordy noted (and others here have as well) re: GK... there seems to be some that report skin issues where the head frame was anchored for treatment. Some slight scabbing or some initial numbness or such at the screw site. 

I hope this helps.
Please hang in there!

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:27:10 pm »

I had no side effects either. I had some swelling on my forehead for about 2-3 days (didn't think about applying some cool compresses) and the right side pin-site took  a bit longer to heal completely. Also a few weird sensations on the bone, on the right (non-AN) side, obviously from the frame, that were very minor and resolved soon.
As Phyl said correctly, the range of possible side effects varies a lot, and you should be aware of them.

One of the doctors I saw at the GK centre here in Toronto came from the UK. I thought she said London, but maybe I am wrong. She said that they have lots of experience there, you will be in good hands.

I wish you the best of luck.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

tatianne

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:20:44 am »
Im only 1 week out of GK and its been pretty good so far.

Small pain at the pin hole sites, polysporin really helped to help these heal up fast...my right eye was swollen for about 2 or 3 days on and off, I believe this is a normal reaction from anesthetic...cold cpmpresses did the trick here. Ive been a little more tired then normal but aside from that all is good. Its still early for me but I thought I would share what Ive experienced so far.

Ive also had an allergic reaction, to something, hives break out but I dont think this is connected to the radiation...more an allergy and personal reaction.

Hope all goes well for you.

Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:51:31 pm »
I'm a little over 7 months post GK, and I am doing well.  I didn't have any problems with the pin sites.  Three days post GK I walked 6 miles.  Five days post GK I had a balance issue that resolved itself by the end of the day.  Post hearing and balance tests were within normal limits.  I did not lose any hearing.  Fatigue was pretty bad.  But, I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia so fatigue might not have anything to do with GK.   I think GK was a good choice for me.  Hope you have good results.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs