Author Topic: Tinnitus in good ear  (Read 2387 times)

Esperanza

Tinnitus in good ear
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:29:51 am »
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone started to experience tinnitus in their good ear following hearing loss on their AN side?

Having spent the last 6 months adjusting to the constant wooshy roary hiss on deaf side I have, over the last couple of weeks, started to experience a low resonating intermittant noise in my good ear (kind of like the noise you'd get from a bass speaker if you see what I mean!), was very occassional and now seems to be there most days  which I have found really bothersome  >:(   

Does anyone have any ideas what his might mean?  Should I be worried that it is a low noise rather than the high pitch hiss I very occassionally experienced before the hearing loss (and didn't bother me!).   I have had more sensations of twitching under my eye and a hot feeling at the top of my cheek on my AN side but that shouldn't be related to the tinnitus on the bad side or is my whole head cooking now??!! ;)

I am going for my next MRI the week after next and won't have my consultant appointment for a few weeks after that. 

Everytime I think I know where I am with this thing with regard to symptoms etc. it throws me another curve... if I have it removed now will I feel myself again????   Still desperately trying to hang on to my 'normal' life!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:32:35 am by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

shygirl

Re: Tinnitus in good ear
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:00:20 pm »
I'm not a Dr, but it sounds like your eardrum is spasming. If that's what you mean by "bass speaker". I get that when I'm tired or in a quiet place that suddenly gets noisy. I haven't been to the Dr yet, but hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Everyone is different in regards to the after-effects of AN surgery. Some people get back their "old" lives, and some, like me, have to adjust to a "new normal".

I don't know about the twitching and hot feeling, but I didn't have any of the signature symptoms. I had perfect hearing in both ears, but where the tumor was located required translab. That's what they told me, anyway.

Let us know the results of your MRI.

Best wishes for you.

2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:20:34 pm »
Hi, I wanted to respond your ??'s about tinnitus in the "good ear".  As you can see my stats you know how far along I am from surgery.  My "right" ear began with high-pitch, on and off hissing/ringing/crickets, whatever, shortly after the one-year mark and six months after that it set in full time.  I have fullness, heart beating sound, along with tinnitus.  I have had hearing checked last fall and results shows mild loss on the high end.  As of recently, I do feel my hearing has changed because I cannot recognize my own daughters voice on the phone or other family members for that matter.  I always seem to be moving the phone around my ear during a conversation because I miss some of what they are saying.  These are all signs of hearing loss and in the fall when I go for annual hearing exam I'll know for sure if I've lost more.  My doctor has talked about "sympathetic response" regarding these symptoms, he's not really concerned as of February when we talked about this, but then he doesn't know about most recent symptoms of hearing loss.  I also mentioned my eye twitching to him in February (see stats as that is when I had labyrinthectomy) and he said during this 2nd operation my facial nerve, albeit intact, is prolapsed and the eye twitching is due to this weakend nerve.  Recently I've begun to notice more pain in the cheek area, my eye lid freezes on occation and I have a very slight drool.  I want to stay on top of this so I've requested from ANA the booklet on facial issues so I can start exercising these muscles to help me.  I think in your case the tinnitus in the contralateral ear should be noted by your doctor or audiologist just for the records, they may or may not have an answer as you see I don't.  Your eye twitching can very well be your facial nerve firing due to tumor and should be noted by your doctor also.  I know other people have commented on eye twitching as signs of psychological stress, but in my case it's stress of a physical type. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Esperanza

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 05:16:17 pm »
Thank you both for your replies, I suppose I was hoping for lots of people to say 'yes, we get that too....' but of course I don't really want anyone to have it!
To go from virtually no tinnitus before in my life to all this seems a little unkind!  Gone from bass speaker to bass player - it's there virtually all the time now and almost seems like bass music on that side - very wierd...! Oh well, I'll keep plodding along and see what I can find out.

Actually, I really hate being SSD and the thought of hearing on good side diminishing or being affected long term by this new tinnitus... well its unthinkable.  I have coped so far - I choose not to tell people unless I have a real problem and although I count my blessings, I hate it :'(   

Ok moan over!!!  Back to life and reality and taking a deep breath and getting on with things....  ;D

Thanks again....
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:05:24 pm »
Hi Esperanza,

Looking for an answer to my symptoms I found your post. I would like to know how is the tinnitus in your good ear going; I am experiencing  noises in my good ear similar the ones that you described.

I'd appreciate your comments,
Thanks,
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.