Author Topic: doctors....in atlanta or house clinic?  (Read 2489 times)

jsdrewpa

doctors....in atlanta or house clinic?
« on: February 24, 2006, 08:18:58 pm »
My husband was recently diagnosed with a 1.2 cm acoustic neuroma.  He is scheduled to see Dr. Bhansali (for whom our ENT recommended as well as a Harvard neurosurgeon.)  Has anyone had any contact with him or have any other recommendations in Atlanta?

My husband is also going to be in LA for business in a few weeks and is planning on meeting with Dr. John House while there.  Anyone have any feedback on the House Clinic, Dr. House or their experiences in general?

Thanks for all you help.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: doctors....in atlanta or house clinic?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:09:48 pm »
HI and welcome!

As you know, Atlanta has wonderful facilities in Emory University Hospital and at Northside in Dunwoody.  Other than that, have no clue locally (my family still lives there but it's been years since I did).  I would check first with Emory to see what they have available.  I used House Clinic (Dr. Brackmann) as a 2nd opinion from a microsurgery prospective. He was a little too anxious in his approach with me of what procedure to do and when. I know others here think the world of him/House Clinic, but it's based on individual preference.  I wouldn't hesitate in getting a free consult from House Clinic again, but curious if Emory has a program first.

I did a "google" search for you of Emory University Brain Tumor neurosurgeons... came up with this link.

http://neurosurgery.emory.edu/BTP2.htm

as well as this link

http://neurosurgery.emory.edu/welcome.htm

I would certainly call and ask them about their work in Acoustic Neuromas, see if they do them and how many they have done.  Then maybe work your way from there.

Wishing you well,
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

julieteresa

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:11:30 am »
hi there -

i haven't checked on this site in a while, but read your post and wanted to respond.  it has been almost two years since i was diagnosed (and treated) with a 4.5 acoustic neuroma. 

to make a long story short, i was diagnosed on a tuesday and had the surgery two days later.  i had my surgery at the house ear clinic; my neurosurgeons were dr. mark schwartz and dr. slattery.  my tumor was very large and the surgery took almost eight hours, but they removed 99% of it.  i highly recommend the house ear clinic.  i felt like i was in such great hands.  i truly thank god every day for my doctors and the staff at house.
4.5 Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
April 22, 2004
House Ear Clinic
Dr. William Slattery III and Dr. Mark Schwartz

B

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 10:04:45 am »
I have an appointment to see Dr. Mattox of Emory in Atlanta and will call for an appointment with Dr. Bhansali, both for the first time.

Please let me know if you have information or opinions about them or other Atlanta doctors.

beedj@mindspring.com

Byron Jones,
left acoustic neuroma, FSR treatment ending June,1999, failed to control growth.
B in Georgia, USA
AN FSR June 1999
Translab May 2006

akaplan

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 03:56:27 pm »
My wife had surgery at the House Clinic, St Vincent Hospital in December. They were very careful and very knowledgeable. Dr. Schwartz who did the operation had done 100 surgeries in 2005 alone. The care at St Vincent post op was great. We were very comfortable with them and felt like we were in good hands. The operation was a success.