Author Topic: I just needd to post this as it could be important for some  (Read 2682 times)

Butch

I had an An on my right side a little over a year ago. I was close to getting surgery and thankfully, I discoverd Gk and Ck. I decided on Ck and all went welll. I was really concerned about the possible facial nerve damage. Well the right side of my face is just fine however, I was diagnosed with cancer in my left paritod gland just had surgery 8 weeks ago and going thru chemo now. During the surgery my left side facial never had to be remove so the left side does not work so welll. I know chances of this happening to others is slim  to none probably but, I would probably be on a feeding tube if I didn't get lucky in deciding on using CK on my An. I know this isn't a great thing but, I fellt I should share this as others who shared their experiences had alot to do in my decision making process. Godd Luck to all. Ciao

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: I just needd to post this as it could be important for some
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 07:58:55 am »
Butch .....

So sorry you have had additional problems after dealing with your AN a year ago.  Maybe I am not understanding your post correctly, but I wanted to add that having surgery for an AN does not mean you will automatically have facial nerve damage.  Many of us have had no facial problems at all following surgery.

I am so glad your CK went well for your AN and now pray your chemo for the parotid gland cancer will result in complete healing for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:19:16 am »
Butch~
Thank you for sharing your story.  Clarice is correct in stating that not all surgery results in facial paralysis, but i do think that it is more common with surgery than radiation.  I had my surgery a long time ago when medical technology was not what it is today and do have complete paralysis on one side.  I had NEVER even thought about the chance of something happening to my "good" side until this past winter when my friend's mother (who had already had a stroke even though she is very young and active) got Bells Palsy on her other side.  Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you as you travel this very hard road.  I, too, am so thankful that you choose CK...I'd call that a little bit of Divine Intervention steering you that way!!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:56:36 am »
Butch ~

I'm very sorry to learn of your cancer and will pray for your complete recovery. 

I just wanted to clarify that, as Clarice mentioned and Kay amplified, facial paralysis is not a certainty with AN removal surgery.  I had both surgery and radiation (FSR) and did not experience facial paralysis.  Many other AN patients had a similar experience.  Their stories are all over these forums.  Still, I'm pleased to learn that your Cyber Knife treatment did not cause you any deficits, including facial nerve damage.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:52:01 pm »
Hi Butch,
Boy, having to deal with cancer and and AN in such a short period of time is a lot to deal with. :'(  I really hope that the chemo isn't affecting you too terribly. I know it can be awful.
I was considering surgery at first, as well. My surgeon told me that my facial nerve would definitely be affected, most likely it would only be temporary. He said I
would be back to normal in 3-6 months. Maybe it was the approach he was going to use, or my tumor location. He had done many of these surgeries, and is extremely
well regarded in the medical community up here, so I took his word for it.

I really hope your ordeal will be over soon, and that you will be cancer free.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009