Post-Treatment > Headaches

Indomethacin for headaches/migraines

(1/2) > >>

ppearl214:
Hi all,

I did a search here for threads/posts from AN'ers for their use of Indomethacin for headaches. (a non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory, typically for short term use for the treatment of headaches/migraines).

Headache doc prescribed 25 mg 2-3x/day for 30 days. Pain mgt doc is noting to me it may help other issues I am enduring as well.

Made known to me about the GI issues, as well as possible kidney and cardio side affects.

Many past threads/posts here noting it date back to 3+ years.... so, trying to find out if anyone more recent is/has use of this medication for headaches.

all inputs appreciated.

thanks.
Phyl

jerseygirl:
Phyl,

I used Indomethacin for headaches about 10 years ago when I still had them after the first surgery. The trick was that I used suppositories, not tablets because all my headaches started early in the morning and were accompanied by nausea/vomiting. If I took a pill, it would come right out but suppository stayed and it was really convenient first thing in the morning. They worked but my PCP was always worried about the side effects. To my knowledge, the company discontinued the suppositories but a pharmacist can compound them for you; you just have to find the compounding pharmacy. I had them compounded before the second surgery bu the headaches never happened so I was happy to throw the suppositories away!

Eve

ppearl214:
Hi Eve and thank you! :)  My dad is a pharmacist (many here in the past know him as PapaPearl) and I know he can do the compound (he's done many in the past for other medications)... great suggestion and quickly absorbed into the body.

question... did the meds actually work to help the headaches/migraines?  also major concerns here with the potential side affects as I am meds sensitive... she put me at 25mg, which is, to my understanding, low dose, but I am to ramp it to 3x/day.

Thanks!
Phyl

jerseygirl:
Yes, Phyl, the med actually worked and a lot better than any other but the catch was that I had to use it in the earliest stage of a headache to stop it, otherwise, it would take a narcotic to stop the pain and that put me to sleep right away. Can't drive like that, can you? Also, a very good point about absorption:  it worked faster than any pill, therefore I used less medicine in total (less potential for serious side effects). Another big plus: it gave me a legal reason to stay extra 20 min in bed in the morning! Can't discount that! Good luck an let us know what works for you.

Eve

ppearl214:

--- Quote from: jerseygirl on April 29, 2009, 09:13:13 am ---Yes, Phyl, the med actually worked and a lot better than any other but the catch was that I had to use it in the earliest stage of a headache to stop it, otherwise, it would take a narcotic to stop the pain and that put me to sleep right away. Can't drive like that, can you? Also, a very good point about absorption:  it worked faster than any pill, therefore I used less medicine in total (less potential for serious side effects). Another big plus: it gave me a legal reason to stay extra 20 min in bed in the morning! Can't discount that! Good luck an let us know what works for you.

Eve

--- End quote ---

eve, based on your comment above (that I highlighted in red), you only "take as needed" vs. taking it regularly/daily?

any extra 20 min in bed works for me! :D

thanks again for sharing about this med... its definately helping me out!
Phyl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version