Author Topic: One year post-GK MRI - stressed out  (Read 2938 times)

mk

One year post-GK MRI - stressed out
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:35:02 pm »
Well, my one year post-GK MRI is tomorrow (hard to believe that a full year has passed), and I am beginning to feel very anxious about it. I don't mind the test itself at all, I actually find that it is a good opportunity to rest for half an hour not doing anything. But I am really anxious about the results.Today I am feeling some odd sensations, fullness in the ear and twitches - I wonder if these symptoms are because of the stress.
Admittedly this past week has been really stressful with the kids getting a nasty stomach flu - the little one was very sick, and of course I feel very tired and sleep deprived. Oh well, maybe I'll take a nap in the MRI machine.

Wish me good luck!
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: One year post-GK MRI - stressed out
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:25:38 pm »
Good luck!

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:29:23 pm »
Hi Marianna,

I will bet you a hat that you get a good MRI.  ;D

I am predicting no growth and signs of mild necrosis. Let us know tomorrow!

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keeping Up

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:07:44 pm »
Good luck MK

I did pick-up my CD last week (it was so easy to read when the doctor showed us - but for the life of me can't find it now) - it took about 10 minutes and was FREE (shocker for public medicine, all seems free!).  But I did ask - if you are having it done at Toronto Western, Princess Margaret or Toronto General (well, maybe you aren't even coming to Toronto - didn't think of that), the download is available immediately as it is all digital.

In case you have a long wait until you get an appointment with your doctors (GK centre?).

Oddly worded post, I know - but if you are in Toronto tomorrow (or soon), I work downtown right beside Union Station.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:21:09 pm »
Sending you calming vibes Marianna. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

mk

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 07:10:45 pm »
Thank you all (including David, Jim and Rich from the thread on "AN this week") for your kind wishes.

Obviously I didn't wait for the radiologist report, but got the CD and checked out the images myself. As far as I can tell there is some serious "darkening" going on at the centre, and no noticeable (at least by me and hubby) change in shape/size. So I take it that the news is good, pending of course follow up by the doctors. It never seizes to amaze me though how big this AN thing seems on the images brrrr.

Ann, thanks for the tips re "the how to get the CD from the Toronto University Hospital Network" saga. I have done my MRIs at TWH twice, and finally figured out how to get the CD. For my regular follow ups I do my MRIs at the local clinic and I get the CD on the spot (for free). I do have a follow up appointment at the GK centre in Toronto later this month.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »
As far as I can tell there is some serious "darkening" going on at the centre, and no noticeable (at least by me and hubby) change in shape/size.

Told you so.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keeping Up

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:18:17 pm »
Well done - can't wait to hear the formal report.

I got most of my MRI CD tips from you - but was so amazed that the CD would be available instantaneously (well, I will have to wait until 8am for the desk to open since my MRI is at 6am).

Amazed you can read your MRIs so well - I have spent the last hour mapping this line versus that line and I think I finally found the tumor.  Remember, my tumor is so so small, it can hide into only 1 or 2 slides.

congrats again.

Ann

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

suboo73

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 04:16:54 am »
MK, 

Glad to hear things are looking good for your 1 year follow-up!  We all appreciate the updates, especially those of us in W & W.
Can't wait to hear the final report for full confirmation - so good luck later this month!

I was very anxious last week for first 6 month MRI...golly, molly.  That's when i decided the vacation from March 24th-31st was perfect timing, and when i got to the doc, he could see the digital images immediately, no waiting.  I do not have the formal report yet, but the doc basically declared the AN 'unchanged.'  I still want to see it in 'writing' i don't know why - maybe because i can read the words, easier than the CD!

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

mk

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:17:32 am »
Thank you all, and Steve yes it seems that you were right (as always).  I will certainly provide a "one year post-GK follow up" report once I have all the information, including the hearing test and the appointment at the GK centre.

Donnalynn, I really appreaciate that you took the time to think about me given what you have been going through. I have followed your story quietly and I am really glad that things are looking up now. When I see people who have gone through so much with so much faith and courage I realize that I have nothing to complain about. I'm sending you lots of hugs.

Sue, I think the doctor's opinion matters more, because he is familiar with your AN and how it may or may not have changed. So you should rest assured for now.

And Ann, way to go, you figured out how to read your MRIs.  I found it is very important to do that, so you go armed with information and questions to your appointments (and wow, your AN is hiding in only one-two slices this is awesome - mine is really hard to miss).

Marianna

mk

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 10:56:21 am »
I am back from the audiology test, and I thought I would provide an update. Pretty much "unremarkable" as Steve would say. Hearing is holding steady at the same levels as pre-GK (which is slightly diminished than normal, more so at low frequencies). More importantly word recognition still at 100%. So it seems that GK can also result in good hearing retention, at least for the short term.

Marianna

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:11:40 pm »
Marianna,

hearing still intact and you are doing fine! Congrats on this news and continued wellness and hugglez! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:14:59 pm »
That's great news!  Congrats on the good results!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager