Author Topic: New Symptom  (Read 4657 times)

Vivian B.

New Symptom
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:00:18 am »
Hello everybody,

For the past couple of days I have had this popping in my affected ear like rice krispies or popcorn. Sometimes it gets very loud. In the subway this morning on my way to work, it was really bad. I have been going through a cold for the past two weeks. I am not sure if it is related to the growth or the cold or who know? Should I report it my Dr? Has anyone out there had similar symptoms prior to treatment?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Lilan

Re: New Symptom
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:33:40 am »
I didn't have that actual sound that I recall, but I had all kinds of crazy noises in my ear last summer. It has lessened a lot (maybe b/c of a few rounds of steroids giving some temporary relief). I also wear an earplug in that ear if I'm going to be in a very noisy environment so I don't have to hear echoes of it for hours afterward.

At some point I had to tell myself not to freak over every new symptom. (Not to say that you're freaking -- I was. When I started having a tingling, numb scalp one day? I was calling relatives in a panic thinking I'd wind up in emergency brain sugery that very night!)

I would keep track of symptoms and tell your doctor, but I find they are not too excited about new symptoms once they have already diagnosed you and it's an expected symptom that fits the profile, you know what I mean? Like when you say "my ear is popping," s/he'll say, "yes, you have an inner ear tumor." :D

I have definitely found that cold/sinus exacerbates things. Insults that a healthy inner ear could accommodate for, it no longer can.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I might have a Rice Krispie type of noise. I call it crackling ("snap, crackle, pop," after all). I do not have popcorn noise.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:35:52 am by Lilan »
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:12:52 am »
Thanks Lilan,

I guess it sounds normal for people like us. By the way, I can't recall, have you been treated yet or are you still on W and W?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:38:09 am »
hi vivian,

well, we know we are in the height of allergy season (I never had allergies until a few years ago) and with your cold, it could be fluid build-ups due to the cold/allergies.  Have you tried an antihistime/decongestant? I'm not a doc (by far) but I'd place bets that it is due to the cold/allergies.... just my guess.  My dad (PapaPearl for those that know him here) is a pharmacist and usually tells me, when I have issues like you, to try an antihistime to help dry it up.... usually works for me...

Just my 2 cents.

Hang in there and feel better.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

amye

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:57:36 am »
Hi Vivian;

I definitely have a crackling sound periodically, just like Rice Crispies. Doesn't last for long in my case. I think these strange intermittent symptoms are par for the course.

Amy

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:00:27 am »
Thanks Amy and Phyl for replying.

It does get a little better with decongestants. When I come to think about it, I may have experienced this in the past even before I was diagnosed, but never paid much attention to it. By the way, I just got my date for my next MRI, Sep 17/09. I am already freaking out.

Vivian 

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:53 am »
Hi Vivian! During the period of a cold or allergies there is definately a relationship to our symptoms. I`ve noticed this with myself for many years. Stay on top of your MRI`s in relationship with your course of action. I`m on my yearly MRI`s now so far with no change. I probably had my AN for decades and just diognosed 2 years ago. My AN is 12x06 mm with minimal symptoms and as long as it stays the same I could go on for ever. In any case with technology today  try to stay optomistic that whatever your outcome and choice everything will be fine. Best Wishes, Mickey

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:21:30 am »
Hi Mickey,

Thanks for your kind words.

Vivian

Lilan

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:08 am »
Viv, I am planning surgery for June.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Vivian B.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 11:53:14 am »
Hi Lilan

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Vivian