Author Topic: One more day  (Read 7681 times)

joeelmo79

Re: One more day
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 07:23:33 pm »
this is joe's wife again...i have a question?  Joe is on the recliner and as most of you know he had his surgery on monday, and today he has had more swelling than the previous days.  He has run a low grade temp also 100.5- 100.8.   He actually had talked to his surgeon today and he said as long as it don't get above 101.5 not to worry about it....just wondering if anybody else had any insight into this....His incision site is clean no reddness or anything so if anyone else had this please let us know so we won't worry too much or maybe need to worry more....Thanks in advance

Mrs. Joe

sgerrard

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 09:44:28 pm »
If the surgeon said he is okay, he is okay. :)

Hi Mrs. Joe,

I think it is quite common to have a little rebound effect as all the heavy medications wear off. I assume he has instructions on if and when to take pain relievers. Just be sure he gets enough fluid, a mild fever can dehydrate you. Gatorade, or something. Hope he feels better soon!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »
Was he given a prescription for steroids?  I had the same thing, minus the fever.  I had swelling inside that eventually caused enough pain so that even my pain killers weren't completely effective.  I called the number they gave me for 24/7 access on a weekend and one of my surgeons called back and told me to start taking my decadron.  Within 6 hours, I felt like a million bucks again :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 11:26:14 am »
I also ran a low fever right after surgery and was told that it was pretty common when you're taking steroids.  I was surprised, since I've taken steroids many times before (asthma) and never ran a fever, but sure enough, as the dosage of steroids tapered off, my fever went away! 

But, keep tabs on it and don't hesitate to mention it to your surgeon....my surgeon's clinical nurse was always a phone call away and I talked at least 2 times a week to her so after a few weeks, I didn't even have to say who I was!  She continues to be a great means of support and is very patient with this patient's questions, no matter how trivial they may be.  I hope you have that connection, too....it sounds like most folks around here have that available to them.

As always....good luck!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

joeelmo79

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:30 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post post op, yea this is joe, I have had my wife posting for me up until now,  I feel a lot better today,  the pressure in my head is not as bad today,  I still cant hear anything yet but the surgion said it would return in time.  I walked about a 1/4mile today using a walker,  I feel 100% better today.  I still get pretty tired after activity but I know that is to be expected,  I want to thank everyone personally for speaking with my wife in my absence, I believe it really helped both of us to have you all here.  My left eye goes blurry from time to time,  but other than that my vision is fine,  I should start getting some use back from my facial nerve in a few weeks.  Dr lambert said that this was as perfect as a surgery could be,  better outcomes than we even thought.  so I am happy.  I am going to rest for a while, just wanted to drop a line and chat for a few minutes, I will post agian later, thanks for everything  Joe :-\  still crooked but maybe not for long ;D

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 12:06:35 pm »
Glad you're feeling better.
You'll be way ahead of me pretty soon.  :D
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 06:04:47 pm »
Hi Joe!

Congratulations on your first self update!  Sounds like everything went really well and you are on your way to recovery.  I'm sure the facial weakness is a bit scary but we are all praying that it is temporary.  It seems a lot of people get varying degrees of weakness right after surgery, but usually make a full recovery.

We will continue to pray for a quick recovery.  Keep those updates coming!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 06:08:35 pm »
Welcome back, postie!  While we all liked your wife, we're very glad to "see" you again  ;D

It's very encouraging to hear you "feel 100% better today".  I found post op - especially after I got out of the hospital - that I felt a little better each and every day.

As I'm sure you know, recovery takes time and patience, but you are definitely on the right path.

Keep the faith,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 01:26:41 pm »
So glad you are feeling better and on the path to your "new normal"!  We are all behind you, so please keep us posted regarding how you are doing!
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 02:57:00 pm »
Joe:

It seems as if you're having a fairly normal recovery and will be fine in a few more weeks.  Rest as you need to and don't be overly concerned about posting right now, but thanks for the effort and the positive update.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2009, 07:55:37 pm »
So glad you are feeling and doing better. Still do get rest though!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 08:00:13 pm »
Congrats on a successful surgery Joe, glad to see you back posting!  Get lots of rest!!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"