Author Topic: Skull Base Institute - another tumor bites the dust  (Read 62079 times)

rkks

Re: Skull Base Institute - another tumor bites the dust
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 03:48:19 pm »
Hi Chopper,

I felt compelled to drop you a line after reading your story about Skull Base Institute.  Our 19 year old son (Jared) was recently diagnosed with a right side AN (10x9x7 mm) on 9-17-08.  After living on the internet and obtaining as much information as possible about surgical procedures I came across the Skull Base Institute.  I mailed the MRI CD and other pertinent info to Dr. Shahinian and within a few days I was speaking with him about our son's problem.  It was as though a huge weight had been lifted from our shoulders after the discussion I had with Dr. Shahinian.  I went home to my wife and relayed all that he had told me and made the comment that "my gut feeling is that this is the doctor and procedure we want for our son".  After numerous visits with our son (he is in college at the University of Kansas), he too was convinced that the minimally invasive approach was the only option for him - not the standard procedure that was detailed to him by a neurosurgeon. 

Jared's surgery is scheduled for Monday, Dec. 29, 2008.  We pray that his surgery is as successful as yours and that he will be back to school soon.  Reading a post like yours only strengthens our belief that Dr. Shahinian's endoscopic procedure is the right choice for Jared.  We will keep you posted on the outcome of the surgery if you like.

Thank you!

Ron & Karen
Parents of Jared (age 19)
Right side AN (10x9x7 mm)
Diagnosed 9-17-08
Endoscopic surgery on 12-29-08
Skull Base Institute, Los Angeles
Dr. Hrayr Shahinian

sgerrard

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 11:46:44 pm »
Hi Ron and Karen,

I would like to hear about Jared's experience as well. I have only seen a little about endoscopic, and it always sounds interesting. I am not looking for surgery anytime soon, I hope, but I am interested in seeing whether endoscopic grows as a treatment option for ANs.

Best wishes to Jared on the 29th.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

chopper

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 11:56:20 am »
R&K,

I can only imagine the thoughts that must have gone though once the diagnosis was initially made.  Sounds like you all put a lot of thought into the procedures available too, and I'm honored to have been able to help in some way!

Please start a thead and post some updates as things progress.  I do love to hear about people going there, if anything to compare experiences and get the word out as much as possible.  If ya'll have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

suboo73

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2008, 07:24:31 am »
Ron & Karen,

Thank you for sharing the information about SBI and your son's condition.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you on the 29th.

I am also very interested in how things go for Jared - i am in watch and wait mode, as in my older sister, diagnosed 6 months ago.

Take care.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W