Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

COPING WITH SYMPTOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT

(1/2) > >>

Vivian B.:
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to cope with symptoms of blocking of the ear, as if you are under water. Earache not so bad, headaches not so bad, but plugging very uncomfortable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vivian

Keeping Up:
I mentioned this in another post - wasn't sure if it is common or not, similar to 'airplane' ear.  It happens to me several times a day, sometimes up to 10 minutes at a time.

My ENT said it was just par for the course.  Mine isn't bothersome other than a bit of sound muffling so I pretty much ignore for now.  I guess it could all change if it becomes more burdensome (and any other AN symptoms).

I mentioned this as well - what causes it.  Airplane ear (and I think water ear) have something to do with the pressure within the Eustacian tube (s/p???) but ANs should have little to nothing to do with that part of the ear.

I might be way off base if not airplane ear.

All the best.

Ann

sgerrard:
"A feeling of fullness" is how it has been described by ENTs sometimes. Not that it helps any.

My neurotologist said that it is not due to temporary closing of the eustachian tube, which is what happens in airplanes. That is relieved by yawning or chewing gum, actions that tend to open the tube again so the pressure can equalize. (This was after 3 months of all sorts of meds and nasal sprays attempting to unblock it before I was finally diagnosed, of course).

In fact he said it may be due to a reverse effect, where the hearing is muffled by some mischief the AN is up to, pressing on the nerve or artery for instance. The ear is tuned to detect slight changes in hearing, and may "interpret" them as a change in pressure, signaling your brain to try yawning or jaw wiggles in an effort to clear it. Any sort of inflammation around the hearing organs can probably produce this effect.

I don't know if I really buy it, but that was the gist of his explanation. It sure feels like pressure to me.

Steve

Vivian B.:
Thank you both for replying. I can see you both understand where I am coming from. I was also on nasal spray for a couple of months. My ENT even told me to pop my ears every half hour to relieve pressure. I guess we all go through the same think. I think it has to do with the sensitive nerves in that area.

Vivian

sgerrard:
I will add that while I still occasionally experience this, it is far less often since treatment. When it happens now, I take an Ibuprofen and it goes away quickly.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version