Author Topic: New here, new to AN  (Read 6528 times)

sgerrard

Re: New here, new to AN
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 11:59:54 pm »
About the AN size, I know!  That's what I thought.  I classified it as a med but my Dr. classified it as a large because it was pressing on my brain.  Does that matter?  I was not expecting him to say that.

Location isn't normally a factor in saying medium or large, but it is a factor in saying radiation candidate or not. Medium but pressing on the brain stem would tend to mean radiation was less favorable, which I think is your situation. He may also mean that it should be treated sooner rather than later, for the same reason.

By the way, I think BAHA's are cool, and better than a regular old hearing aid like I have. You get to have a titanium post in your head, and a high tech device that you can snap on and off whenever you want.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 12:19:13 am »
I would believe the medium size pressing on the brain stem (in all of my 3 weeks of wisdom, ha ha). 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

lori67

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 10:24:40 am »
Anissa,

Don't doubt yourself - it's amazing what kind of knowledge you can pile up in just 3 weeks when it's your brain involved!   :D

BAHA is definitely a great option (and very cool, as well), but if you decide it's not for you, you can always be a BAHA-WANNABE like Steve!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 11:43:07 am »
Anissa,

Welcome to the forum!  I see the welcome wagon has already been here, so I'm chiming in a bit late..  Like you, mine was pressing against the brainstem so surgery was most likely and sooner rather than later.  I was more into the "large" category than you, but we're very similar in other respects.  If it helps at all, my surgery was in May 2008.  In many respects, I've returned to an active lifestyle (and 2 young children to boot!).  If interested, I've posted my story (link below in my signature) to show people from diagnosis, surgery and beyond..

Welcome aboard!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 12:46:29 pm »
Hi Anissa,

So glad you found our little hide-out.  This is a great place to come for support, information, and maybe a few laughs along the way.  You might even forge some new life-long friendships. 

Your blog is great as I visited it too.  You did a great job and you seem to be handling all of this new information quite well.  Good for you!  I do wish you well, and I hope your eventual treatment and recovery go smoothly. 

Welcome to our world.  Sorry you found yourself having to find an AN support group, but so happy you found us. 

Take care,

Sue in Vancouver, WA USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 03:39:06 pm »
Hello and welcome, Anissa ~

I'm coming in late on the welcoming committee receiving line so I'll just say Hi! for now.  I'll be looking forward to your future posts, in the hope I may be able to offer you a bit more.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 04:03:42 pm »
Oh and by the way, Anissa, please read this article about how the balance system works.  It is highly informative and helps to explain a lot of what is going on that you might not even be aware of yet. 

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 09:34:11 am »
HI Anissa,

I'm an oldie here and don't log on much anymore, but Andrea in SLC just let me know about you.  I had Dr Shelton in 2004 middle fossa at the U of U hospital.  MacDonald was my neuro surgeon along with Shelton.  If you want to chat email me @ xxxxxxxxxxx

patti

Message from Joef: Sorry, I removed the email address. Please use PM to "Patti UT"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:01:37 am by Joef »
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 11:59:31 am »
Patty YOOTEE! Geesh, woman... how many times we tell ya no personal emails in posts... geesh.. and btw, stop sending the Splenda (snow), will ya? :) Good to see you posting! xoxoxo

Hi Anissa,

Just a hearty welcome to you!  Much support already coming your way and not much for me to add to it... but, just a welcome to you. I try to keep up with everyone here (not easy, trust me...) but hoping you are finding answers and support you need here.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 12:12:20 pm »
Thank you all for a warm welcome, as you can tell I'm making myself at home here.   ;D  Patti, I sent you a PM. 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 07:07:49 pm »
Patty YOOTEE! Geesh, woman... how many times we tell ya no personal emails in posts... geesh.. and btw, stop sending the Splenda (snow), will ya? :) Good to see you posting! xoxoxo

OOPS!   FORGOT,  been too long since I was a regular on here ya know.....  Sorry 'bout the splenda Phyl,  actually, it's not coming from us, we have had a fairly mild winter, (even htough were getting some splenda right now)  I know you guys got slammed this year.

I'll be in touch Anissa.... got your PM.  send me your personal email, I'm looking up some hotels for you.  maybe my hubby can get a corp rate somewhere for you..

Patti Ut    aka  yootee
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:11 pm »
Welcome ... not a place you would want to be unless like us you need to be here...glad you
found this place ... it keeps me sane at times ... not off roofs but sane  :D

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't wannabe a BAHA wannabe ...I want one now (she says while stomping foot)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery