Author Topic: BAHA implant problems  (Read 2935 times)

arkansasfarmgirl

BAHA implant problems
« on: February 28, 2009, 07:24:36 pm »
I got my BAHA implant back in november, at the same time as my translab.  I still cannot get my processor because the danged thing won't quit oozing.  Everything seemed find until the end of January, when it started crusting up and bleeding.  My dr used some silver nitrate to clean off the granulation tissue that had formed and it's much better now.  But it still has a small area that is raw and oozing., right next to the abutment.  Any advice?

Vonda

lori67

Re: BAHA implant problems
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »
Vonda,

How frustrating that must be.  Have you tried putting some antibiotic ointment on it - bacitracin or neosporin?   I have a steroid cream I use for flare ups - sometimes it just gets a little puffy around my abuttment for some reason - but I put the ointment on at night and it's fine by morning.  It's called Clobetasol and it's prescription.  I'm not sure if that would help out with the oozing, but maybe you can ask the doctor about it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

Re: BAHA implant problems
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:27:05 pm »
Vonda,

Sorry, I thought I repsponded to your post -- I must have pressed the wrong button.  I'm just wondering how you are doing and if things have gotten any better or if you've had a chance to mention the steroid cream Lori mentioned.  Hope this problem clears up soon for you.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!