General Category > Hearing Issues

BAHA Implant Problems

<< < (3/8) > >>

kmancini:
I had my implant 10-24-08 my head is still very numb.  I wish it would go back to normal.  Also I wear the two different caps only when I get my hair colored.  It helps keeping that color out of it and so the girl can locate the area when she is cutting. 

Karen

leapyrtwins:
Lori -

you are right.  I wasn't thinking healing cap - as in the semi-large white one they put on post op.  Sadly, I don't have my healing cap  :'(  The day my neurotologist removed it for good it shot across the exam room and end up under a chair.  He picked it up and tossed it in the trash.  So much for surgical mementos   ::) LOL

I haven't worn my Divino cap at all; wasn't sure on what occasion I would want to.  The audiologist suggested maybe putting it on when I styled my hair if I used gel, mousse, or spray to keep the "gunk" out.  But she also said I could just gunk up the hair without the cap and then clean the abutment off before attaching the Divino.  Never thought to use it when going for a haircut - great idea, Karen.

Catherine -

I can't believe you haven't worn that little clip thing with the fishing line!  I am aghast!!   :o  (Actually I haven't worn mine either - can't believe it would really do anything to keep me from "losing" my processor)

Strangely enough, now that you mention it, my BAHA site is no longer numb now either (my surgery was 3/4/08).  Wonder when that happened?? 

Jan

robinstwo:
Nice to know that I get another cap.  Don't know if I can handle one that is smaller than the white one.  Can  hardly get that one on.  Guess I need more practice :P  That'll come very soon, starting 3/27.  I'm glad to hear the device comes with a leash.  I can see me knocking it off.  I do dumb things like walk into tree limbs or bump my head on the frig.  You'd think after 50+ years you'd learn.  Nice to know that the numbness around the abutment eventually goes away.  I was wondering if it would become permanent like my non-working face.

leapyrtwins:
Robin -

the cap that comes with the processor is about 1/3 the size of the white healing cap.  Not easy for large fingers to grip  :(

As for knocking the processor off your head, you'll get used to it.  When I first got mine I knocked it off a couple of times, but then I got past that.

I also originally thought I'd never get the hang of putting it on the abutment.  I started off using both hands - one to hold the processor and one to feel my head to "see" where the abutment was.  But thankfully with time, I got much better at attaching it - you will too.  You have to kind of "rock" it onto the abutment - not snap it on directly.  Taking it off is much easier - you just "pop" it off with your thumb or forefinger.

Good luck on the 27th.  My BAHA gotcha day (Lori's phrase) was one of the best days of my post-AN life  ;D

Enjoy!

Jan

JerseyGirl2:

--- Quote from: leapyrtwins on March 16, 2009, 05:44:04 pm ---
I also originally thought I'd never get the hang of putting it on the abutment.  I started off using both hands - one to hold the processor and one to feel my head to "see" where the abutment was.  But thankfully with time, I got much better at attaching it - you will too

--- End quote ---

I totally agree with Jan -- it takes a few times to feel comfortable attaching and detaching the processor. I felt as though I were playing "Pin the Tail on the Donkey," but you'll get the hang of it before long. I like to compare it to my contact lenses. When I first began wearing them years and years ago, I didn't think I'd ever learn to stick something in my eye, but it soon becomes second nature and you don't even give it a second thought -- same with the BAHA. You do need to treat it carefully though -- handle it gently and always store it in the "jar of beads" which accompanies it.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version