Author Topic: When should the second or follow-up MRI be?  (Read 3802 times)

Helga

When should the second or follow-up MRI be?
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:34:25 am »
I had my first MRI on Dec 26, 2008 (after wating for two weeks to "come back if it's not better", then waiting for 4 weeks for ENT appointment, then waiting for 6 weeks to "see if it got better"). Is the next MRI typically not until you decide to have your procedure done, or sooner?
Thanks, Helga

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: When should the second or follow-up MRI be?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:48:56 am »
Hi Helga,

From my undestanding, it really depends on the individual physician choice. I know of many (myself included) that had their 2nd MRI (after the baseline was done that discovered the AN) approx 6 months after the first... to see if there was any growth between the timeframe.  If no growth, they may opt for another at certain timeframes (ie: every 6 mos, etc). Some that have been in watch/wait mode can also better chime in for their frequency of MRI's.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:51:06 am »
I've always seen that follow-up MRI's for W+W ppl have been done at 3 or 6 months.  That's long enough to measure any growth, but not so long that a rapid growth isn't caught early.  Too soon and you run into the issue of any "growth" being within the margin of error of the machine.  I've also seen that follow-ups should be done on the SAME machine as the baseline machine for the same reason (the margin of error may be different between machines).

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:57:14 am »
When I was in watch-and-wait mode I was getting MRIs every 6 months.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Helga

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:20:00 am »
Thanks, that sums it up well enough for me at this time.
Helga

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:49:06 am »
I`m W+W going into the future. I have taken 3 MRI`s which all read "stable" 6 months a apart. My Dr. has now advised me to go to yearly MRI`sr. That was our course of action. Good Luck, Mickey

Helga

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »
Thank you all for replying. I didn't think I could W+W, first, I am not the patient type, second, I thought my AN was too large to wait (2.2cm at the largest). Decided to go for another MRI in about 3 mo after all, and then go from there. This will also give me a little more time to do some more research.
Helga