Author Topic: does anyone have a baha in there hearing side?  (Read 2522 times)

jazzfunkanne

does anyone have a baha in there hearing side?
« on: February 18, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »
hi ,  my ent and consultant feel because of the work done on the AN side the  bone might crumble and not be suitable for a baha (i thought the baha could be placed higher up on the head), because i have a loss in my good ear he thinks it would benifit me to have it done on the good side, i was abit disappointed as i am used to having hearing on my deaf side with the cros aid, now that will be taken away from me.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Sam Rush

Re: does anyone have a baha in there hearing side?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:20:55 am »
You may be better off w/ a transear.   Why would the bone crumble? The bone is living tissue and will ossify around the BAHA anchor within 3 months.  Having a BAHA on the hearing side kind of defeats the purpose of it, you want to hear sounds from the dead side. A BAHA on the good side would increase the hearing on that side, but so would a regular hearing aid without the surgery.  Either someone is confused, or there is more to this story.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:15:15 am »
jazz -

I'm deferring to Sam on this because A) he's a doctor and B) he has a BAHA.

I don't understand the idea of a BAHA on your hearing side either; doesn't seem logical to me - and although I'm definitely not a doctor, I am logical 99.9% of the time  ;)

I've never heard of crumbling bone (although that doesn't mean it isn't possible) but I do know that my BAHA site is either on top of or extremely near to my AN surgical site.  I recall my neurotologist saying something about the bone that was cut in half and then screwed together during my AN surgery being some kind of a factor in my BAHA surgery, but I don't recall the specifics.  (I wish I did, but sometimes he uses medical speak and he loses me in the translation.)  Regardless, my BAHA site healed just fine and I had calcification in 90 days.

I don't know how many docs in your area do BAHA surgery - I think you're in Canada - but I'd look into getting another opinion if possible.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:43 am »
hi jan, am in scotland, its not so easy here to get referred to other consultants under the nhs, last year they were talking about doing it on my AN side, now this year it is a different story, i have heard you can have it placed higher up on your head, as sam says it defeats the purpose of it, i was so disappointed yesterday when i heard , but i think i will wait till i see him in september and have more words with him about it. maybe he means it will start to crumble when they start drilling (who knows) but surely if they did it higher up on the head it wouldnt interfere with previous work.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:05:33 pm »
I know this is slightly off topic but how do you like the cros? Maybe it isn't good and that is why you are looking into the BAHA. I haven't gotten to a point that I can go for more surgery (BAHA) so was waiting for the Transear to come to Canada. I currently do not have an aid, I didn't want to get used to one thing and change to another so I have been holding out. I really am missing out and am frustrated waiting for the Transear.
Should I break down and get the Cros?
Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:58:31 am »
hi, i do like the cros aid, but because my ears are becoming infected and filling with fluid due to wearing the moulds my ent has suggested the baha.