Author Topic: Flying Solo Tomorrow  (Read 2641 times)

Jill Marie

Flying Solo Tomorrow
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:14:31 am »
No, I'm not flying a plane by myself tomorrow.  However, I feel like I am!  A childhood friend of mine moved to a town not far from me about a year ago.    She emailed me a few months ago and asked me to join her for lunch.  I couldn't make it for a few reasons but mostly because I haven't seen her since my surgery in 92.  I'm sure the lunch will go great and I'll be glad to see her but I know that people always react differently to seeing me for the first time.  I just wish that I was as excited to see her as I should be.  As for flying solo, I've become dependent on my husband to be by my side when I do things I'm not comfortable with.  It's not as though he's there every time as I have a full time job and do lots of things on my own but I sure wish he was going to be home when I head out tomorrow or there when I get back just encase I need the support.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

sgerrard

Re: Flying Solo Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:04 am »
Go for it!  8)

We'll always be here if you need us.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:24:24 am »
Jill,

Have faith in you to be fine! Go and enjoy and put this on the backburner and have a fab time!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:56 am »
Jill, you'll do great  ;D 

I'm confident your friend will be very excited to see you and the excitement will rub off.

Let us know how things go.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:48:15 am »
Thanks everyone, that's just what I needed, will take your words of wisdom with me.  Best go get ready for lunch!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:37:24 pm »
Jill,

Even though your husband won't be at lunch with you, he'll still be with you in spirit (although he'd probably like some lunch too!).  The first time I had to do things after my surgery on my own, it was a little nerve-wracking, but I found that once I got that first time over with, it was all good after that.

Don't worry - and just enjoy a nice lunch with your friend!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 04:01:19 pm »
Jill~
I guess it is past lunchtime, but I just read this...hope all went well.  Let us know!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:56:26 pm »
Thanks for all your support, it really helped!  I tried telling myself yesterday that the lunch would go just fine but a little voice kept saying, "You know how some people react when they see you."  Kept trying to tell myself that it probably bothers me more then it bothers them.  I was bolstered by your posts and headed out with time to spare. I put in my sisters CD and put the pedal to the metal.  I was so relaxed that I would have been more than happy to cruise right on to the next state.   I googled the restaurant for directions, that was a mistake, they said that once I took the exit I would turn left then go 2.2 miles and would be there.  I continued to enjoy the drive, was a good 20 minutes a head of schedule so no worries.  When I arrived at 2.2 miles there was nothing but fields on both sides of me.  I turned the truck around and headed back to where the stores were.  I stopped at a gas station and asked for directions, turns out the restaurant was more like 2.2 blocks from where I turned.  While at the gas station I checked my cell phone encase my friend called.  There was a message but not from her, it was from the doctors office where I had my physical etc. last week, message was to call.  I'm now almost late for lunch and worried about why the doctor called.  Called the doctor office, closed for lunch!  I made it to the restaurant by 12:30, agreed upon time.  Sherrie was there waiting, we hugged, briefly explained trip, ordered lunch then talked tell 5:00.  Called the doctor office around 4 and they said they just wanted to let me know the test was fine couldn't tell me that in the message of course.  As you can tell we had a wonderful time or we wouldn't sat there for over 4 hours.   One small step for Jill, one big step for future visits with others!  Thanks again, Jill

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 11:03:54 pm »
Good for you Jill.  I see many more excursions (with better directions?) in your future.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »
Yea!  Congrats on lunch and the good news from the doctor's office.. Here's to more outings in your future!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »
I was pretty sure it would turn out well for you and I am delighted to have guessed correctly. Onward and upward.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 01:43:30 pm »
Jill,

First of all, my experience with google maps has been horrible too! Now I have my trusty GPS, who's name is Jill, by the way, and she gets me anywhere I need to go.  Good investment for those of us who have no sense of direction.

And I just knew you'd wind up having a great time!  Once you make it over that first big hurdle, it's a walk in the park!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 01:44:17 pm »
Jill ~

Congratulations on your successful socializing escapade with an old friend over lunch and, of course, your 'clean bill of health' from your doctor.  You need to do this more often!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 02:19:22 pm »
Jill,

First of all, my experience with google maps has been horrible too! Now I have my trusty GPS, who's name is Jill, by the way, and she gets me anywhere I need to go.  Good investment for those of us who have no sense of direction.

And I just knew you'd wind up having a great time!  Once you make it over that first big hurdle, it's a walk in the park!

Lori

Jill?  I won't say what I've nicknamed mine.  It's not good in mixed company.  She has a sexy foreign accent, though.. ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jill Marie

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 11:00:30 pm »
Thanks again for all the support!  In hindsight my fears seem silly now, but boy they weren't last weekend.  Will have to look into the GPS if, I mean, for when I go on more excursions.  Since the lunch ran long and I stopped at the store on the way home my husband was home when I finally got there and was really glad I had such a nice long visit.  He too recommends doing it more often.  I had to go to work early today as vacation replacement so of course I woke up 2 hours before I had to get up and couldn't quit thinking about all my friend and I talked about and never got back to sleep.  So, that's it for me, I'm off to dream land.  Jill