Author Topic: My AN funny for the week  (Read 2350 times)

Keeping Up

My AN funny for the week
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:36 pm »
As a newbie, I am still highly aware of this AN, the ringing in my ear and my hearing overall.  Every thing is so minor right now, that I know I should just forget about it all - but I still find some humour in it.

On Tuesday, one of my team was listening/watching to the Inaugruation on the web (it was a quiet day) - well, actually a few girls were, and I kept getting the run down of the first lady's dress (and the woman in the pink coat ... which I now think was one of the children).  I knew they were doing it - the volume was very low and I was listening to their chatter but couldn't clearly hear the voices - not AN/hearing related, just really low. 

Throughout the day, I kept thinking that who the heck was protesting in downtown Toronto 41 floors below my office in the FREEZING weather.  It took a few checks out the window to realize that the high pitch sound was the crowd from webcast - just with the 'bad' ear towards the sound, I had no grasp of direction and only heard it through the good ear and thus assumed it was coming from outside.  My hearing in general is so good, but this directional stuff plays games on you.  I had to laugh.  I know it only goes but downhill from here so I am sure I will experience this several more times over.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: My AN funny for the week
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:17:07 pm »
doesn't always go downhill! :)  Been in those shoes before... look one way and then another and say "huh?"  "Where?" "Who said that?". Even worse when you are alone and do it! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:17:28 pm »
Keeping Up:

Humor is a real life saver. Thank goodness the AN doesn't take that away.

My word recognition is pretty far gone in my AN ear, but I found that a hearing aid, which I've named Chatty Kathy, helps me so much with directionality.

Hearing Aid: $1500
Regaining Directionality: Priceless

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:23:45 pm »
SSD humor happens when I'm with my wife in a large store and, inevitably, we go our separate ways.  She to ladies clothing, home decor or shoes while I explore the hardware, electronics or automotive sections.  Eventually, we'll finish what we're doing and want to check out.   We'll usually wander around looking for each other and, invariably, she'll see me before I see her.  She'll yell "JIM!" and I'll do a 360° turn, desperately trying to locate her voice. while, acutely aware of startled onlookers now staring at me, I pretend to be oh-so casually looking over the surrounding area.  Sometimes it takes more than one pirouette on my part to locate Tina, who, by this time is frantically waving her arms, trying to signal me and end my awkward moment as more shoppers pause to look at the dazed guy anxiously trying to locate his shouting wife while unsuccessfully trying to appear 'cool'.   Occasionally, a well-intentioned bystander will point to my wife in the distance, and say "she's over there", thus intensifying my embarrassment while simply trying to help me.  Of course, if she's close by, Tina just walks up, taps me on the shoulder and says "Hi!"  That doesn't happen too often though.  We normally go through the little drama of her shouting my name while I imitate a ballet danseur who has forgotten his next move and is desperately looking for his partner.  Other than that, my SSD is hardly a problem.  :) 

Update:  last year, we decided to make things easier by using 'walkie-talkies' to locate one another in big stores and malls.  This works fine - but we often forget to bring them with us when we shop, so it's only a partial solution. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:04:05 pm »
We normally go through the little drama of her shouting my name while I imitate a ballet danseur who has forgotten his next move and is desperately looking for his partner.

Please, please, pretty please, will you post a picture?  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:59:09 pm »
This is a hysterical description, Jim! This is exactly what happens to me in stores! ;D ;D ;D  Since I got Transear, though, I find that I am sometimes correct in localizing the sound. I am not 100% accurate though.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:56:29 pm »
Jim,
I had to laugh at your description of yourself trying desperately to locate your wife.  I can picture it quite clearly in my mind's eye because you could be describing me.   ;D  I am very much hoping my BAHA will help this problem at least a little.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!