Author Topic: Hydrocephalus, Gamma Knife  (Read 9972 times)

Vincent87

Re: Hydrocephalus, Gamma Knife
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 06:48:28 pm »
Kat:

Thanks for the kind words.  I just got home from the nursing home.  That's a whole other conversation...about alternatives.  Mom had a good day today...her PT used the word "progress," but then she came crashing down when she learned she has a good size cataract-the result from the Decadron used to treat the edema from the GK.  It's exhausting being the cheerleader especially since I've always been the glass is half empty kinda guy.  I tell her about my exchanges in this forum and she (and it's sick) takes comfort in knowing that she's not the only one out there who has suffered.  She sends you a big hug right back.

kat

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 07:00:41 am »
Hi Vincent

Good to hear that your moms condition is a little bit better if you do not take into consideration the cataract !   I am wondering how Decadron ever got past the trials and just how many people are having severe side effects .I can only
assume  that it must be a lifesaver for some people where no other treatment is available . I know what you mean about
 being a person for whom the class is half empty I am the same but luckily my husbands class is always half full so we balance
each other out . Try to take care of yourself now since it is exhausting mentally and physically to be the carer and cheerleader it is important to have some "you time" once in a while . I will be going on a  holiday soon but I will
check these pages weekly just to see how everyone is getting on .

Best regards to you and your mom

Kat

2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Vincent87

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 07:38:40 pm »
Hey Kat:

Just got home from The Other Home...it's strange to come back to the home that I grew up and for it to be so quiet.  And I miss the smells-of Mom's pasta fagiola, her gravy (tomato sauce) simmering...and she does as well.  Sometimes she'll rattle off a shopping list; it's one way I guess to ease her mind, to take her out of a nursing home where, as the social worker said today, she IS NOT one of them/the residents.

Safe travels.  I hope your holiday involves blue skies and lots of good hearty food.

kat

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 03:54:14 pm »
HI Vincent

Just a last note before I fly across the pond to Florida . We have a small sailboat there which we bought before my AN
diagnosis with plans to sail slowly to the West Indies and maybe back to UK all a few months at the time over a couple of years . We have had to alter our plans a bit since sailing east is deservedly called the "Thorny path "with all prevailing winds
and currents against you and because of any possibility of my balance being affected after GK that plan just was not on .We then decided to have a short cruise to the Bahamas and then up the ICW to the Chesapeake Bay to store the boat there and wait till my next MRI before any long ocean crossings . Anyway the hurricane situation in Florida is getting worse and our insurance premiums  and exesses are going through the roof. I feel fine but thought that it would be  irresponsible of me to go ahead regardless and maybe feel all wobbly on and ocean passage weeks away from land . I am looking forward to the  cruise and specially the ICW sailing in sheltered waters and hope to do a lot of sightseeing on the way .

I  really hope that you will one day return to your moms home cooking and all that you have been through will seem like a 
 bad dream .  The social worker was right your mom does not belong there ! How ever difficult it may seem you both must
think of it as temporary and try to keep your spirits up which I know must be easier said than done .

Hugs to you both

Kat

2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .