Author Topic: This Week (1/4) in the Confounding AN World  (Read 2683 times)

LADavid

This Week (1/4) in the Confounding AN World
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »
OK, 4 days of football games are over.  Time to re-enter the world.  Things are picking up a little (a lot compared to last week).

Today Janaury 4th is the Wonky Headed Wonder, Sher's Birthday.  Fifty second as a matter of fact. (Same day as my daughters).  If you're a Ute fan, congratulations!  Great game.  Happy Birthday, Sher.

Tomorrow (Monday)  Wendy (Wendysig) from Staten Island is having her BAHA surgery at NYC Eye and Ear.  Great news.  I hope it works out great for you.

On Wednesday, Ann (Keeping Up) is having her balance test at TGH.  She's in a holding pattern and I believe this test will give some indication of the need for surgery -- right, Ann?  Good luck with it.

Then on Thursday, Ed Hayes (edhayes) is having a GK at NYU.  It's been a long time , Ed.  I'm sure you're relieved to get it taken care of.  Very best wishes for a successful outcome.

And that's it for the week.  I hope everyone is having a great new year so far.  I think I've gained about 10 pounds in 4 days -- non-stop football and eating.

Have a great week.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Keeping Up

Re: This Week (1/4) in the Confounding AN World
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:29:36 pm »

On Wednesday, Ann (Keeping Up) is having her balance test at TGH.  She's in a holding pattern and I believe this test will give some indication of the need for surgery -- right, Ann?  Good luck with it.

Thanks LADAvid (OK, and I thought you were from Texas!)

To be honest, I have no clue why I am having the EMG - it seems standard fare for this practice but not sure what it proves or supports vis a vis future treatment.  So, will share later this week.  I am curious to ask the questions as I try to learn more about the nature of these ANs and the impact on the neurological system.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:15:50 pm »
I'm from Texas but we'd certainly take LADavid if he wanted to head this way!!   ;D  I think the weather (wind & cold specifically) would tear him up here though...used to that beautiful LA climate!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:40:42 pm »
LOL, Kay.  I grew up in Pittsburgh.  My bones were bred of ice.  I like the cold.  Actually,, I think it's getting down into the 30's here tonight.  Cold for here, but nothing like the panhandle -- I've been there in the middle of winter.  There's nothing that seems to typify cold than seeing icicles hanging from the horns of a longhorn steer.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:18:18 am »
Hi David -
Thanks for doing your usual great job of updating everyone on what's going on in our AN world.  Thanks too for your good wishes -- I'm  sure the BAA surgery will be a piece of cake.    I send my best wishes to those of you who are having procedures or tests this week too.

Sending you all positive vibes,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:42:18 am »
Good luck and best wishes to all having proceedures this week.  Happy Birthday to Sher and David's daughter.  It's cold here today after having 80 degree weather for a few days so I'll put my pirate sox on in honor of all of the proceedures!
Brenda ;)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 05:59:03 pm »
LOL, Kay.  I grew up in Pittsburgh. 

David -

does that mean you're a Steelers fan?  :o

Good luck to all of you with procedures this week - please let us know how things turn out - and Happy Birthday to Sher and Britannia (I think I spelled that right)  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:27:42 pm »
Die-hard Steeler fan, Jan.  I've lived in Atlanta, Miami, San Diego and LA and always pulled for the home team -- but not against the Steelers.

I don't know if I posted this before, but it's an article I wrote for the Pittsburgh paper the last time the Steelers won the Super Bowl.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06029/646019.stm

And thank you and Brenda for BDay wishes for Britannia.  Unfortunately she was sick.  I stopped by today on the way to PT and dropped off some soup.  Hopefully that works.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »
Well, all I know about the Steelers I learned back in college - many, many years ago  ::)  I don't think he was a player at that time, but I am somewhat familiar with Rocky Blier. 

I used to be a Bears fan, but stopped watching them when Jim McMahon was no longer their quarterback.   These days I watch Notre Dame on occasion; when they're not embarassing themselves.  Glad their bowl game was a blow-out in their favor - kind of helped them redeem themselves a little bit.

Great article, BTW  ;D

Sorry to hear Britannia's sick; hope she's better soon.

Has anyone heard from Wendy today?  I'm curious to hear how her BAHA surgery went.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:23:35 am »
Another wonderful piece of writing, David!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:29:50 pm »
I agree; great piece!  Incidentally, my father used to live in North Hills and now lives in Sarver (a stone's throw from downtown 'burgh).  Being a southern guy who was born and raised in south Texas, even I enjoyed the writing and with my ties in the 'burgh could relate to the places mentioned.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 04:58:01 pm »
Thanks guys.  It was a fun article to write.  I wrote most of it on a couple of napkins at the Steeler bar while I was waiting for friends to show up to watch a game.  And you get the ties, Brian.  Pittsburgh is actually a very cool city.  Only sometimes too cold.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.