Author Topic: Who should do the eye tuck?  (Read 4061 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Who should do the eye tuck?
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:04:59 pm »
I've had several eye surgeries since facial paralysis. I found that the plastic surgeon who did the tuck and eyelid weight did a great job at making the perfect incisions which led to great healing without scars which is what the plastic surgeon really prides himself in and even talked to me about how his incisions would be invisible once healed. I had this done in Texas. When I got back to Arkansas it needed taken out 3 months later because the doctor here said it was waaaayyyy too heavy. I couldn't even open the eye. When I told him that a plastic surgeon did the weight surgery his response was......Why did you go to a plastic surgeon because they aren't that well versed in this type of surgery hence him putting in the wrong weight. SOOOOO....when I had the weight removed I chose an eye surgeon (the same guy that said I should not have gone to plastic surgeon) Well, he removed the weight alright but he did a very messy incision and did not only a horizontal cut but went vertical down to the lid so that when it healed it healed puckered making it hard for full closure. I also got a nasty hospital acquired infection of the lid incision too. When I asked about the weird zig zag cut to remove the weight he really didn't have any answers. As a surgeon his job is to remove that weight and I'm sure he did whatever was easiest for him not thinking about how it would heal. So this is what I think.....Plastic surgeon=nice scarless healing!    Eye surgeon=get the job done but can't guarantee it will look nice.
Here's my problem....I need another eye tuck as my eye is droopy again. The plastic surgeon that knew little about weights but alot about nice clean incisions is in Texas and I don't want to travel for surgery again. I'm sure that I can find both specialities here in Little Rock but am wondering what you guys think? Who did your tuck?
Plastics guy or general eye surgeon? What is the easiest way to find doctors who specialize in the canthoplasty (eye tuck)?
Angie

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Who should do the eye tuck?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:22:15 pm »
Hi Angie, am I correct in understanding that you just need a tuck, not another weight? II it is all appearance, then go to the plastic surgeon, but if it involves functionality, the ophthalmologist.

A plastic surgeon might also be able to do something about the zigzag scar.

Whichever route, get a second opinion if possible.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:58:19 pm »
Angie~
I have gone to both also and while my eye guy did an incredible job, we now have an occuloplastic surgeon here in town so he referred me to him (mainly b/c they had operated on that ever so sensitive skin so many times).  He is a plastic surgeon who specializes in the EYE.  You get the best of both worlds - I am sure LR has one if we do - if not, you can come visit me!!  You know I LOVE my Dr. in Baltimore but he wasn't AS great with the eye weight (I think there was some stuff w/ Nancy's too - she LOVED him too!).  Go for the Occu-Plastic guy for sure!!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:02:17 pm »
I'm going to see an occuloplastic sugeon in LR on monday.  Dr Wade Brock at Baptist Eye Center.  He was recommended by my LR ear guy (Ward Gardner) as the best. 

Vonda

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:35:29 pm »
I'd definitely agree with Kay on the oculoplastic surgeon.  I went to one in Nashville and he did a great job.  Some surgeons don't care what the end result looks like as long as it works - but the plastics guys (and gals) think more about what the finished product will look like.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:21:22 pm »
ArkansasFarmGirl,
Dr. Wade Brock......Yep. I worked with him at Arkansas Childrens Hospital in Little Rock for over 3 years! He was a resident while we worked together in the pediatric Eye Clinic. Yes....you are probably right. I'm sure that he is great but man was he ever a jerk! Me along with the other nurses were glad to see him go!!!!!! Glad he did your surgery though as I'm certain that he did a wonderful job. Any other suggestions as to oculoplastic doctors here in Little Rock or even in Nashville since I have to go there every 3 months anyway and it has become my 2nd home? By the way.....How are you doing and how is that wonderful baby?
Angie

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:10:57 pm »
I haven't seen him yet, as my december appt was cancelled due to icy roads.  Thanks for the warning that he's a jerk.  LOL  I just loooooove drs who think they are God's gift (not).  So you work at ACH?  My sister has been a NICU nurse there since 1999.  I had never heard of occuloplastic surgery until a month ago, so I have no idea who else is in the area. 

Thanks for asking about my sweet little Lilly.  She will be 5 months old on wednesday and is growing up way too fast!!!   I think she's going to talk early, as she babbles constantly.  She said "mama" clear as day yesterday, but Wes won't let me count it yet.  ;-)  My 3 year old is having some issues with me and my "illness" and that makes me really sad.  He told me the other day that he doesn't need a mama because mamas go away and have their heads cut open.  :-(((

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 06:32:35 pm »
Lori,
Who did your eye tuck in Nashville? I might try to get an appointment with him when I go in Feb. Is he hard to see? Booked for many months usually? Does he do it outpatient? under general anesthesia?
Thanks for answering my questions. It would be great if you had his contact information. This droopy dog eye is driving me insane@
Angie

lori67

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:05 pm »
Hi Angie.

I see Dr. Ralph Wesley in Nashville.  He's a great surgeon and absolutely the sweetest man.  He's just so friendly and truly compassionate, not like the doctors who just pretend to be!   ;)  There are two other doctors in his office, one is Dr. Kimberly Klippenstein and the other one is a woman who just joined the practice, so I don't know her name.  Dr. K is really nice too.  Their number is 615-329-3624.

I had my tear duct cauterization and lateral tarsorrhaphy done as a same day procedure under general anesthesia.  He has a surgical suite right in his office, but my insurance didn't cover that, so I had to go to Centennial hospital, which is right near his office anyway.  I'm sure he has options as far as the anesthesia goes, but I'm a big chicken and prefer to be knocked out for these things.   :-\

I don't recall having to wait for too long for my appointments with him, but the first time I went, my AN surgeon called him to let him know how much pain I was in because of my eye, so that may have moved things along a little quicker.  I'm sure if you explain that you'll be traveling and would like to try to coordinate your appointments, they'd understand and help you.   

He has a lot of experience with these types of eye issues - he's the only one in the area that my surgeons at Vanderbilt refer their patients to .

Let me know if you need any other info from this area!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.