Author Topic: Scheduled for BAHA  (Read 3709 times)

Trackman

Scheduled for BAHA
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:47:02 am »
After waiting since October, my insurance company finally approved a BAHA. Surgery is scheduled for 4/17, with Dr Chen in Pittsburgh. Any advice?

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
Re: Scheduled for BAHA
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:33:53 am »

After everything we have been through having a BAHA is a piece of cake. I don't know if it’s the same for you over there but over here in UK we get the option to be put to sleep or have it done under local anasetic, I opted for a local and it has to be one of the strangest experiences of my life.

Lay on my back with my head to the side, my head numb, I was facing one of the nursing staff talking to him about weddings because my surgeon had mentioned he was getting married, before long the whole of the nursing staff, surgeons and myself we're happily chatting about the price of catering at weddings (me being a caterer I offered my services) then all of a sudden I had a thought and it made me chuckle there I was, chatting away with out a care and there were two surgeons scrapping at my skull, drilling and screwing in a pin, it has to have been the most serial 30 minutes of my life.

What I will say is don't panic you'll be absolutely fine,  it really is a walk in the park, I walked out of the hospital just 40 minutes after coming out of theatre, it is, in comparison to previous ops A SIMPLE PROCCEDURE.

If you do stay awake just be prepared for the vibrating, when you first go in they use a special cutter that cuts a horse shoe shape incision into the scalp, you won't feel a thing it just makes a loud noise also when they drill the hole you will vibrate again, whilst doing the drilling the nurses or other surgeon spray water over the area its a bit cold and sometimes runs down your neck, be prepared for that its not BLOOD its only WATER, before you know it they are screwing the pin and stitching you up then hey presto! You’re done.

I found the whole thing very interesting and I'm glad I opted to be awake, even if it was a little scary, I wasn't told half of the things I have told you, so you should be fine because you now know what’s to come.

You may find you have blood in your hair and that’s not nice because you can't wash it for a week, but you can buy dry shampoo from any good chemist its really good you just spray it on and its a really light powder, leave it for 30 seconds and comb it through it won't take it all out but it will make it feel fresher.

Last point be careful of infection, mine was infected for months, it would clear up for a few weeks then suddenly come back, it was really annoying but if you keep it clean it should be ok, problem is I was on my own, my husband works away allot and because of its position it was hard to see what I was doing even with the aid of 2 mirrors, looking back at yourself in a couple of mirrors isn't easy and then you have to hold a mirror in one hand and try to clean with the other, its very awkward, if you have someone at home who can do it for you then that is the best way, use a mild antiseptic that you can mix with water (TCP) or something like that and buy loads of cotton buds you know the ones you clean your ears with, you'll need them. 

I hope this helps

You'll be fine, let us know how you get on.

Cheryl  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:05:14 pm »
Trackman -

I had my BAHA implant surgery almost a year ago (March 4th) and my experience is similar, but a little different, than Cheza's.

I found the surgery to be very easy and I chose local anesthestic (lidocaine injected into my head) without sedation so I was wide awake.  My neurotologist and I basically joked the whole way through the surgery - but I'm confident he was still paying attention to what he was doing  ;)

I could have literally walked out of the OR, but they wouldn't let me.  I did, however, walk out of the hospital after about 15 minutes in recovery where they made me eat and drink something.  I went out to lunch and attended my son's volleyball game a few hours after the surgery sporting a very fashionable "hat" that my doc fashioned from a mastoid bandage and a plastic cup of some sort.

I heard a lot of water running during the procedure - they irrigate the scalp constantly since it is very vascular and does bleed - but I didn't feel the water.  I don't recall any blood in my hair afterwards, but maybe the doc washed it out.

I heard the drill and felt some pressure, but it was nothing; no pain involved.  The noise was similar to having a cavity drilled at the dentist's office.

I was able to wash my hair 24 hours post op by holding a cup over my BAHA site to keep it dry. 

I didn't have any infection - used bacitracin for a few weeks post op - and my site healed very nicely with no problems.

I've been wearing my processor (Divino) since I was 90 days post op and everything has been great for me.

We all have different experiences, but I'm sure things will go well for you.

My partner in crime Lori and I have been looking for the next BAHA candidate to send our 2nd Official BAHA Recovery Kit to (Wendy was the first proud recipient).  So if you're interested, please PM me your address and we'll put one in the mail.  Free of charge  ;D

Best of luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »
Trackman,

This one is definitely a walk in the park compared to the AN surgery itself.  Then again, most things are.

I had mine done under general because I'm a chicken.  I also have 4 kids, so I jump at any chance to get some uninterrupted sleep.   ;)

I took it easy the day of my surgery, but the next day I was back to my usual routine.  My site healed up nicely with no problems as well.

Good luck!  I know you'll love your BAHA!

Lori, partner in crime
Official BAHA Recovery Kit Company
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:51:17 pm »
I just tested the BAHA last week and was absoutely amazed how well I could hear. The tech told me it's even better once it's implanted.  My doctor called me yesterday and said he could do the surgery the first week of March. I am so excited, by summer, I will be able to hear on my right side again!

Thanks so much for sharing your stories Cheryl, Jan, and Lori. I feel that after reading your experiences I know what to expect.

It's funny that you compared it to having a tooth filled, Jan, as I had one done last week, and was sitting there thinking, "I hope the BAHA surgery isn't as bad as this".
But, I have very sensitive teeth. It's the metal on the teeth I can't stand. And after it was all done, I was fine....... ;D

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:16:36 pm »
Lisa,

Trust me, the BAHA surgery beats any trip to the dentist!  I am a big baby when it comes to the dentist. I'd rather have another titanium post put in my head than have to endure my cleanings every 6 months!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:44:56 pm »
I've never had any major dental work, so I can't really compare the BAHA surgery to hard-core dentistry; but I've never known Lori to lie so I'd go with her opinion.

Actually it was my neurotologist who told me that having the BAHA surgery with local anesthesia was similar to having dental work - mostly due to the sound of the drill.  He told me that if that didn't bother me at the dentist's office it mostly likely wouldn't bother me in the outpatient OR - even though the drill would be going into my skull, not a tooth  ;)

I thought the demo was absolutely magnificent and I've never been sorry I had the surgery - my 1st anniversary will be on March 3rd.   

Lori and I would love to send you one of our complimentary BAHA Recovery Kits, Lisa.  If you PM one of us with your address, we'll be happy to send one out.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:01:10 am »

I can agree with that, it is a little like going to the dentist and to be honest I was at the dentist the other day for a routine check and I think I was more worried about that than I was about the BAHA, in fact i was quite up beat before going in for surgery but I think I was excited about being able to hear again soon!!!  ;D

I think you'll love your new BAHA, Its so great to be able to hear what the person on your AN side is saying rather than a muffled noise.

I like the fact that I can change it to either mono or stereo thats pretty cool!

all the best Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Sefra22

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:26:34 am »
Hi Jan,
I just sent you a PM. I am curious to see what's in the kit.
You guys are great.
Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:13:55 pm »
Hi Trackman,

I had BAHA demo in November -- it was nothing short of amazing -- and  surgery on January 5 and it really was a piece of cake, especially compared to AN surgery.   As Lori said, just about anything would be.  I had local anesthesia with sedation since this was my doc's recommendation.  I was awake for most of the surgery, but very relaxed -- according to him I did doze off a couple of times.  I am very impatiently waiting for the day when I can use my processor -- he sent me home with the whole kit, much to my surprise!   I look at it and find the idea of attaching the processor very tempting but, of course, I don't because I would never dream of doing anything that might damage my implant.  If everything goes as planned, I will start using the processor sometime in early April -- I  can't wait!!! 

Best wsishes for your upcoming BAHA surgery,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:21:40 am »
I just sent you a PM. I am curious to see what's in the kit.

Thanks, Lisa.

I've already sent your address on to Lori, who will have the high honor of creating your kit.  We're taking turns - helps with the creativity.

Hope you'll find it useful - and amusing!  ;D

Jan