Author Topic: Treatment Teams in Texas?  (Read 4129 times)

RED in Palacios

Treatment Teams in Texas?
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:47:20 pm »
As a "newbie" I continue to struggle trying to find the right team to address my treatment when that time comes.  I was diagnosed in October of 06 and am doing the wait and watch thing while I research every aspect of my AN and the possible treatment routes that are available to me.  I have found this forum to be more informative and far more personable than any of the doctors that I have encountered, other than my initial ENT.  (Dr. Bickford in Victoria is a good man.)  If anyone has any information (good or bad) relating to their treatment teams anywhere in Texas, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.  I am located on the mid Texas coast about half way between Houston and Corpus Christi.  I have been to San Antonio to a "highly regarded clinic" there and was not impressed by any of their process or people.  I go in for my 6 month MRI in two weeks and will see what, if anything is happening as far as growth of the tumor is concerned.  My AN is small but located such that my left side hearing is totally gone all ready.  Consequently, I do not have to be in any sort of a panicked rush.  I just need information that I can use to continue my search for the right folks to rely on when and if it becomes necessary.

Thanks,
Richard 
Diagnosed 10-16-06.  3.6 mm by 9 mm.  Waiting and watching actively.

BB

Re: Treatment Teams in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:07:37 pm »
RICHARD, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN THIS AN JOURNEY.  I HAD SURGERY 6-15-06.  I USED DR. VRABEC IN HOUSTON MED CENTER AT BAYLOR.  AS A TEAM WITH DR. TRASK.  THEY TOOK VERY GOOD CARE OF ME, AND I DO RECOMMEND AT LEAST A VISIT TO SEE WHAT YOU THINK.  THERE ARE A COUPLE OF OTHER AN PATIENTS ON THIS WEB SITE  WHO USED THIS TEAM AND HAD ALL GOOD RESULTS AND PRAISE OF THEIIR EXPERIENCE. DR. VRABEC TOOK SO MUCH TIME TALKING WITH ME AND ANSWERING ALL MY QUESTIONS EACH TIME I WENT IN TO SEE HIM.  I WAS ON WAIT AND WATCH FOR 6 MONTHS AND THEN CHOOSE SURGERY.  EACH PERSON IS DIFFERENT IN THEIR DECISON, BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND TAKING YOUR MRI X-RAY'S TO DR. VRABEC AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK OF HIM. YOU DO HAVE SO MANY OPTIONS AND I WILL BE THINKING ABOUT YOU AS YOU START THIS JOURNEY.  IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTION'S I WOULD BE GLAD TO ANSWER THEM.  BB

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:23:48 am »
Richard,
I had my AN surgery in Clear Lake Hospital in Webster, Texas.  The neurosurgeon and the ENT were great.  The care provided in the hospital, not so great.  Care afterwards and care since, not so wonderful.  Questions answered, no.  This has been a very difficult journey for me because I thought I had done enough research and I hadn't.  I have heard wonderful things and outcomes from the team mentioned.  Boppie, another Texas poster had a wonderful team working with her.  Believe me, there is a difference between working on and with.  I will keep you in my prayers and wish you the very best.  I think you are very wise in your watch and wait approach.
Best Wishes,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:14:38 am »
Welcome, Red in Palacios!
My real name is Lois, I live in Victoria.   I'd be happy to talk about my AN experience.  Small world isn't it?  Now let's see Victoria has a population of 60,000.  I've already met one other lady from Victoria who had an AN.  Now I meet a third person.  How's that for spoiling the stats?

My ENT is Dr. Sage, My audiologist is Peggy Aguirre.  My surgery stats and Doctors' names are at the bottom of this screen.

I highly recommend my doctors there in Houston. 

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 06:22:08 pm »
Wow boppie whats in the water down there?

Linda Rene

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 12:02:38 pm »
Richard,
           I also used Dr.Vrabek at Baylor College of Medicine. He is also a professor who has a group of students following him around and learing. He was recommended to me as one of the best. Great with information and answering questions. Good bedside manner.
                                                                                                                                          Linda Rene

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:20:47 am »
Richard -

welcome to the forum.

As others have said, Vrabec and Trask have an excellent reputation, you might want to check them out.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:02 pm »
Just saw this and have to give props to Drs Vrabec and Trask at Baylor College of Med.  They're WELL worth you investigating.  I had my surgery 5/8/08 and I'm just about back to pre-surgery.  I regret that you're looking for options for this, but if you're looking then those guys are definitely top of the list for me, for what it's worth.

Regards,

Brian

PS Look in "AN Community" for several threads about my progress along with pictures.  Aside from my bada$$ scar that I like to show off, you'd never know I had brain surgery 7 months ago!
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 03:52:54 pm »
Didn't "Richard" start this in April of 2007??  Wonder what he ever did??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!