Author Topic: Physical therapy  (Read 6717 times)

Pooge

Re: Physical therapy
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 08:14:41 pm »
Thanks, he thnks that he hasnt made improvements, but he can now stand up and brush his teeth, and reading is getting easier.  We told him these are postives  I was told the rehab center was a reaaly good one, and that it will do him alot of good, better than just going home and rehab.  They plan to keep for almost 2 weeks.  I hope in 2 weeks he see's the changes, I think he just wants to get rid of the vertigo thats his biggest problem.

Pembo

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 10:16:32 am »
I was in rehab for 8 days post op. I was able to do things on my own at home but I used a walker at first. The walker was a blessing for me. I tried a little walking in the house without it and everyday I did just a little bit more. My an was almost 4 cm.

As for the shower, get him a shower chair, or use a plastic chair that is made for the outside. My first shower my dh was in the bathroom with me but the next time I was able to do it alone. The first time I was able to lock that bathroom door and be totally alone was such a blessing.

Tell your dad to stay tough. There are alot of emotions that go along with AN surgery. Let him talk them out, if he feels discouraged, hear him out. Those who helped the most were the ones that didn't try to compare my situation with someone who had it worse than me. Yes it could have been worse. But THIS is my reality and I have to learn to deal with it.

Best wishes to you all. AN surgery is hard on the AN patient but equally as hard on the family.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

dgrummer

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 01:46:30 pm »
Those who helped the most were the ones that didn't try to compare my situation with someone who had it worse than me. Yes it could have been worse. But THIS is my reality and I have to learn to deal with it.

I’m so happy to hear you say this.  When my husband was first diagnosed – nothing made me madder than to hear – at least it’s not cancer, or it could be worse.

Don’t get me wrong – we thank God everyday that this is something that can be treated and that it’s not happening to someone like our child – but it is still the most difficult thing we’ve ever experienced.  And it’s our reality.

Whenever I’d try and explain that at best he’ll loose his hearing – I’d hear – “well maybe not – think positivelyâ€?.  Heck – that was the positive and a fact – I was sparing them the ‘at worst’ scenario.  Most folks just went into talking about their aliments – comparing I guess and trying to make us feel like we weren’t alone.  Then of course there are those you thought were close friends/family who have never even acknowledged you are going through anything.

I guess folks just don’t know what to say – but it was very difficult for me.  Made me feel like no one really understood.  Of course – not sure they do – and how they could.  They haven’t poured over ever internet article and posting like I have.

If nothing else – I‘ve learned through this whole experience that it isn’t really enough to tell folks you are thinking or praying for them.  Sometimes you really need to show them you care.  And at minimum acknowledge when someone is going through a difficult time.  Intentions are one thing – but actions mean so much more.

Now that we’ve had time to digest it all – the ‘at best’ scenario of loosing his hearing we’ve come to terms with…now it’s just the unknown that we’ll have to deal with.  Guess we’ll find out Thursday when he goes in for surgery.

Sorry for going off topic – just needed to vent a little I guess.

Pembo

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 06:15:36 pm »
dgrummer-Prepare yourself, the comments get worse after surgery! :)  We decided that people say things to make themselves better not necessarily you. I often got asked how are you doing, I'd proceed to tell them that recovery was slow, it was an adjustment to hearing loss, facial paralysis recovery is VERY slow etc etc and then the person would say to me "But you look good".   As if having my hair washed and being dressed made it all better!!! I wanted to say something like Are you looking at me? Because when I checked the mirror last only half of my face moved and that seems a little less than good to me.

Well meaning people don't say the most helpful things and when you are in the midst of this journey the comments come off as insensitive.  I have learned to think before I speak now.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Angela

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 06:58:46 pm »
Pembo- you are absolutely right about people saying things to make themselves feel better.  Not that it's a conscious act of selfishness, just human nature.  I'm learning that also people are usually too self-absorbed to notice other peoples problems.

dgrummer- Amen to that.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)