Author Topic: When did you have your treatment?  (Read 2217 times)

MKS

When did you have your treatment?
« on: March 15, 2006, 12:45:03 pm »
Hi,

I know that most of the people on this forum have only been treated in the past 5 years or so, but is there anyone on here that had surgery/radiosurgery 10 or 15 years ago?

If so, what type of surgery/radiosurgery did you undergo and how are you feeling now?

Thank you in advance!

marie

Re: When did you have your treatment?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 02:18:52 pm »
1967 :  large AN pressing on brainstem, surgery (no choices) Back of head (mid fossa?)  left side,
           no MRIs, no CT scans, no micrsurgery
1987:  surgery for recurrence. went in same place

1991 :  back again--translab at House, Dr. Brackmann

Never had a headache; had only minor balance problems, never had any kind of therapy(speech, balance, physical,etc.  At rest my face looks pretty normal.  one-sided smile.  Feel good, still working managing my rental properties (don't do the painting and cleaning that I used to do) 68 years of age ( I can't believe I've covered that many years!)
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:59:07 pm »
I want the vitamins Marie is taking  ;D

What an inspiration!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 11:17:20 am »
MKS: 1990- I am not sure what the approach would be considered, my scull was opened amost at the crown, I had a drill hole at the crown (for the scope I guess). Surgery done by only neurosurgeon, no ENT involoved, no chance of saving hearing anyway.Tumor was large and within very close quarters with the brainstem and compressing the opposite posterior lobe.
        2005- retrosig. to remove a tiny tumor regrowth. Done by neurotologist only, no need for neurosergeon (I think he just had a peek in there but didn't have to do any of the operation).

How do I feel? In the years between first and second tumor removal I also had several plastic repairs to my face to help me look better after the loss of the facial nerve, I have been treated for post-traumatic stress disorder and I continue to have difficulty with depression off an on. I have no real major complaints, my biggest problem is fatigue but I cannot be sure that this would not be a problem if I had not had this medical issue in my life.

Kathleen

1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)