Author Topic: Info on dr.Fukushima,Duke University?  (Read 7154 times)

nxk

Info on dr.Fukushima,Duke University?
« on: October 24, 2008, 06:55:07 am »
Hello.
My mother was recently diagnosed with A/N.I'm writing on her behalf because she doesn't speak English.She is 54 years old and the tumor is 23mm.She also has diabetes type 1.We are scared and confushed.I want the best for her.Distance isn't an issue.Someone recommended Dr. Fukushima.Has anyone heard anything about him?Any other recommendations?We need your help...Thanks for your time

lori67

Re: Info on dr.Fukushima,Duke University?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:13:28 am »
Hi NXK.

I'm sorry that I don't have any information on that particular doctor.  I have heard of him and I know I haven't heard anything bad about him.  My surgeon has recently gone to Duke and I hear they have a good program.

Do you mind me asking what part of the country you are in?  There are good surgeons located all over so I'd imagine if you can find one close to home, you and your mom would be happy with that. Some patients are also candidates for radiation rather than surgery, so that's something to gather information on also.   I know some places will be able to give you a free phone consult if you send the MRI films to them (House in LA).  It never hurts to get a few opinions before making a treatment decision.  There are brochures available from the ANA that can be helpful - I'd suggest requesting some.

It's perfectly normal to be scared and confused.  There are a lot of people here that can answer just about any question you can think of, so don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck to your mom and keep us posted!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Catflower

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:34:36 pm »
Dr. Fukushima did my surgery April 2007 at West Virginia University where he is a "visiting" surgeon.  I have the highest regard for him and his work.

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:50:34 pm »
nxk -

if distance truly isn't an issue, I'd check out House Ear Institute (HEI) in Los Angeles.  They are the pioneers of AN surgery and it's something they do a lot of.  As Lori mentioned they will give you a free opinion if you send them your mother's MRI results.

As Lori also mentioned, there are excellent surgeons all over the U.S. and it might be easier for your mom to go somewhere close to home for surgery.  Speaking from experience, I personally wouldn't have wanted to travel a distance post op, but some patients don't have an issue with it. 

The most important thing with an AN is to find someone qualified to treat it - whether your mom chooses surgery or radiation - so do your research. 

I found the informational brochures from the ANA to be an excellent resource and they are written in language that is very easy to understand.

We're here to help you in any way we can; please don't hesitate to ask anything.

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nxk

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:46:08 am »
Well,we are from Greece so as long as we decided that America is an option,the state doesn't really matter.Every surgeon we asked here said that radiation is not enough.A partial removal is necessary and then perhaps treatment with Gamma-knife.They also recommended that we should go abroad and America is the best choice.One of them suggested dr Fukushima.

Catflower

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:04:53 pm »
West Virginia University has a great International Patients Program and that Dr. Fukushima participates in that program.  Here is a link to the websit:

www.health.wvu.edu/international/other.aspx

Linda

solecleansing

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 04:14:06 pm »
Dr. Fukushima worked with my surgeon, Dr. Calhoun Cunningham from Carolina Ear, to remove my AN last year.  The surgery was performed at Duke/Raleigh Hospital.
Dr Fukushima has an office in Raleigh, NC. 

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the team of Dr. Cunningham and Dr. Fukushima for AN surgery.

Judy

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 03:37:23 am »
NXK,
I don't know anything about dr. fukushima, but if you want to stay in Europe I would recommend you send info to INIHannover, Dr Samii is suposed to have a great clinik.   Hannover Germany its only about a three hour flight from greece.  I was on the island Cos last month and the flight from frankfurt was around 3hrs.  I would have gone to hannover for my surgery but couldn't afford it, private clinic.  I was operated on by dr. mann Univ, Klinik Mainz, germany he also has alot of experience.

Dan in Germany   
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 02:28:07 pm »
Hello nxk,
  Dr. Takanori Fukushima was one of the Neurosurgeons on the Skull Base Team that performed my AN surgery, at Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina.  Dr. F is a recognized authority on Skul Base Surgery techniques.  And he travels around the world performing this type of surgery.  He has a web site, with more information about him at http://www.carolinaneuroscience.com/  Pages on that site list his experience, etc.
  Dr. F teaches at neurosurgery Duke Medical School, and also at West Va Univ.  I heard he funded a Skull Base Surgery lab for medical students at Duke.  Let me know if I can provide you with more information.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:31:07 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 05:29:46 am »
Hi NXK and welcome to you and your mother.

You note the suggestion of a partial removal of the AN plus radiation.  Some here (Jim Scott comes to mind first) have had that done. That would be "debulking" the AN (basically, scooping out the core of the AN), then radiating the remaining parts of the growth.  I have heard that many doctors are now considering this processes as it can help with facial nerve preservation as well as other reasons.

If you all are researching traveling to the States to have the treatments done, there is massive info. Duke University happens to be top notch on the East Coast. There are many around the country (ie: here in Boston, out in LA, as well as many other terrific surgical treatment centers) that perform terrific work.  Many terrific radio-treatment centers as well. I'm not sure if you are looking to have both performed Stateside or just the surgery.  It may be a timely/costly concern as the treatment and time to stay in the States may add up substantially.  There is a lot of information available here about both forms of treatment, many noted for Stateside. Please use the "search" option here to help narrow down info that you seek out.  But, most of all, the research can be overwhelming, so please step back from time to time to absorb the info, then resume your research... so, you don't become too overwhelmed.

Again, welcome to you and your mom. BTW, my boss is from Greece. I tell him that one day, I shall travel there! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"