Author Topic: I had a stroke  (Read 7602 times)

mema

Re: I had a stroke
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 07:18:00 am »
Brenda,

Just saw this thread.  Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you had this.  When you say your daughter couldn't understand you, do you mean  your words  were slurred or that what you said didn't make sense.  The reason I ask is because in June my hubby started talking off the wall.  He wasn't slurred, just didn't  make sense.  After 3 days in hospital  his diagnosis was transient global amnesia.  Supposedly all the CT's and MRI's would have shown a stroke.  Did yours?  Since his episode we have heard that it is sometimes referred to as a mini-stroke.  Could this be what  happened to you.  Take care.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 01:14:14 pm »
mema,

According to the doctors I  have seen this week (second one today)  what happened to me showed up on all the brain waves (tests)  Because I had no clots, it is referred to as a stress induced stroke.  I was in the hospital for four days and to answer your question about speech:  while I was talking to my daughter on the phone what I was saying did not make sense, but then my words were very slurred as they were when the paramedics got here.  Because my blood pressure was so low (92/55), the paramedics did not think I had had a stroke.  How wrong they are and they are now learning it from a group of doctors, that folks with low blood pressure readings can and do have strokes.
Next time we have a hurricane I am just very calmly going to pack up and leave on a nice vacation and not come back until everything is over and my house is back in shape.  I named this medical episode Ike after the hurricane!!

Brenda

Thank you for the huggles, Phyl, right back at you!!!
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

texsooner

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 05:45:23 pm »
Brenda, I just noticed this thread too. You have really gone through a lot. Sounds like you've got a really good attitude. We live in far NW Harris County, but also felt the wrath of Ike....that wasn't too much fun just a few weeks post surgery. I got a pretty good size headache helping to clean all the tree debris that we had at our house. I think you must live a lot closer to the coast and probably had many more issues to deal with on top of the medical stuff.

Here's hoping your PT goes well enough so you can ride your bike to your prospective job at Heartbreakers!

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.