Author Topic: Question about eyelid weight implants  (Read 5139 times)

MKLady

Question about eyelid weight implants
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:10:57 pm »
Please forgive my ignorance about eyelid weight implants, but neither my surgeon nor my eye doctor have even mentioned them to me.  I do have total paralysis on the AN side and the eye doesn't blink or close completely.  Do they help mainly while sleeping to close the eye or do they also help with blinking?  Pros vs. cons?  Can they be removed if the eye gets better or they are uncomfortable?
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Question about eyelid weight implants
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:25:21 pm »
I just got my low profile platinum implant on August 12. I can keep my eye open fine, it now closes all the way, and I blink about half-way. If it were heavy enough for me to blink all the way, I think my eyelid would droop. So there's a tradeoff involved.

I found the surgery to be very easy. I did not even get a black eye. I am still using ointment at night and drops during the day, but not nearly so much. I have made a few posts about my experience. I posted a picture in the follow-up one.

They can be removed once the blink function returns to normal. My ophthalmologist told me I would ask to have it come out a long time before he would agree to do so. He says he has seen too many people have it removed and then regret it. Also, the eye and forehead are the last regions to regain movement. I will probably leave mine in unless my eyelid gets really droopy.

I wish I had gotten it right away instead of waiting 10 weeks.

Pros: eye feels and looks better, use fewer drops, less chance of corneal abrasion
Cons: it is another surgery, some people have allergic reactions, especially to gold (that's why my ophthalmologist uses platinum), can make eyelid droopy, can shift or extrude over time

Best wishes!
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 07:39:27 am »
I had eye problems for 7 YEARS and finally ask my eye doctor about a weight after my mom had Bells Palsey and had a temporary weight!  Never said a word to me.  I LOVE it now and don't know what I would do without it!!  I have had the surgery 4 times now (we had trouble finding the right weight - most people don't have that trouble) and have not had ONE BIT of trouble.  In fact, I am about to have surgery again to fix it - I got a platinum one when I had the T3 surgery in March and it has slipped.  I was telling my friend yesterday that if I had it in the morning, I was sure I would be able to pick my girlies up by that afternoon!  The 3rd time, I went to a soccer game from the doctor's office - I did have a bag of PEAS on my eye, but I was there cheering my little girl on!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »
Hi MKLady:  I also have a platinum weight (had the gold implant but had to have it removed due to allergic reaction - these are rare but obviously do occur, I have alot of allergies, but not wearing gold, implanted, yes).
I waited about 7 months for the implant & that was a tough time.    I love the implant (I also have total paralysis, had the T3 surgery like K).

I highly recommend it.  I still use lubricant & a plastic eye bubble at night to sleep, but my eye looks much more symmetrical & I can alomost blink to closing.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Ellenmn

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:00:33 pm »
I had a gold weight put in a few weeks after my surgery. (I have the heaviest one they can put in without causing eye problems) It allows me to blink and close my eye. At first I couldn't close the eye all the way so I had to use prescription gel, but now I can close it enough so I only need drops occasionally. I was told that if I get the facial movement back it can be removed. I still have some times where I have to put ointment on the upper lid because the eye lid will swell a bit but it only last a few days. I have had it in about 14 months now and it sure is allot nicer than without it.

MKLady

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:49:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info.  Your replies are encouraging.  I go back to the doctor in October for EMG and will ask about it then.   :)
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

robinstwo

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 07:03:44 am »
MKLady,

I sent you a PM.

Robin
2.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/15/08
Translab Surgery 8/7/08, Emory Univ Hosp, Atlanta, GA, Dr Olson & Dr Maddox
Face and tounge not working right now.  Speech issues too.