Author Topic: for those along the TX/Gulf coast (and inland)  (Read 12871 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: for those along the TX/Gulf coast (and inland)
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2008, 02:33:20 pm »
I live just twenty-two miles from Galveston, North.  very near the bay, about six miles from it and almost on the bayou.  Fun place to be, but everyone is working together.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2008, 04:13:14 pm »
To everyone that has gone through this hurricane from Texas to Chicago.  I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe, that's the most important thing. All our prayers were working.......Hang in there in now the clean-up!!!  Glad you're all OK.....
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2008, 05:16:48 pm »
Finally seeing this.  So happy Brendalu is safe and sound.  Thinking of you as you slog through the clean-up and repairs.  No fun >:(

But you didn't blow away to OZ, and I don't mean Australia, either! ;D  And that's a good thing.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2008, 02:06:16 am »
Thank you all!  We still look like war zone here!  Power is finally back on in my daughter's neighborhood, but she has more damage to her home than originally thought so the insurance agjuster has to come back.  The insurance adjuster called for an appointment for our home and the soonest one is for October 7!  I'm tired of temporary!!  Temporary is expensive, but if we do permanent we don't get reimbursed.
In the wake of all of this my oldest grand daughter all 5'10" 116 lbs went to step over a baby gate between my kitchen and living room (to keep the too many doggies contained) and got her shoe caught and fell on the tile floor and broke her knee cap.  She is in a leg immobilizer and wheel chair and she is not a happy camper.......  Homecoming is right around the corner and she is bound and determined she will be out of the brace and dancing by then!!
We still have lots of folks here without power and they are pulling the PODs away and no more hot meals or ice for these people.  FEMA is dragging there feet in helping too.  Glaveston has a tent city set up by the Red Cross for those people not able to find homes to rent while they are repairing or replacing theirs.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm when Katrina came through FEMA gave an open pocketbook to those folks and alot of them are still reaping the benefits and have not tried to get jobs or pay for their own housing.  This area opened their hearts, homes and purses for those folks.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2008, 10:51:04 am »
Thanks for the updates on the situation.  Now that we are in the midst of a financial crises and the election looming, the national media will probably not step foot in Galveston ever again, or maybe at the 6 mos anniversary.  I guess we could all go to Texas TV websites, but who thinks of doing that, really.

Our thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Sue in Vancouver. USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2008, 12:02:40 pm »
I haven't been out of the house except to go to the doc since Ike--no gas in this part of the country! Every gas station I passed is just closed.  My husband just picks up the groceries on his way home from work. I'm getting friggin CABIN FEVER and it's not even winter!!!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »
WOW!!!  Out of gas!  This is really scary stuff  ???
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2008, 04:41:18 pm »
Makes you think how really vulnerable we all are.  A couple of major storms and it has literally stopped thousands and thousands of people in their tracks. But this happens now and then, and eventually, this will work itself out.  Somehow.

There is a retired man in the neighborhood and I've seen him a few times around the streets and visited with him at a garage sale one day.  He drives short distances in this electric golf cart type vehicle, only it's not a golf cart.  It qualifies as a wheel chair and he can actually drive it into a store.  He can drive it legally in the bicycle lane.  He's got a yellow canopy on top with fringe!  It looks like something you'd see in Florida or something.  He just puts around all over in his little electric cart.  I thought we might all end up with one of those one of these days. He gets like 30-40 miles to the charge.  Something like that.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode