Author Topic: Sammict CSF leak surgery yesterday  (Read 1969 times)

wendysig

Sammict CSF leak surgery yesterday
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:01 am »
Hi Sam,

I'm sorry I missed wishing you well before your surgery.  Hope everything went well and you're on the mend.  Please post as soon as you can and let us know how you are doing.

Sending healing thoughts your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sammict

Re: Sammict CSF leak surgery yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 01:35:45 pm »
Hi wendy,
I was released yesterday everything went well they patched the leak. they did it endoscopic through my nose. they had to remove some bone to get to the area needing patching. I spent 4 days attached to a lumbar drain that was uncomfortable. lots of headaches the first few days but getting better. They are now looking at a date in January to remove the AN. That will give me time to recover from this surgury. Now i just pray the patch worked. One day at a time.

Thanks for asking

Sam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:10:22 pm »
Sam -

I, too, am hoping and praying that the patch works. 

You've been through so much just trying to get to your AN surgery date.

Hang in there, January will be here before you know it.

Best wishes,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:27:19 pm »
Sam:

Welcome back!  I was pleased to learn that your leak is mended, although it sounds like the surgery and subsequent headaches were a hassle.  I will join others in praying for your rapid and complete recovery.

If the AN surgery does happen in January, you'll have four months to prepare. I'm sure you'll be ready, by then.

In the meantime, stay in touch here, try to remain optimistic and know that many people are rooting for you, Sam.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:31:50 pm »
Sam,

I also welcome the news that your CSF leak has been addressed, and feel for you and what you had to endure. Neither an endoscopic procedure through the nose, nor a four day lumbar drain, sound like there is anything pleasant about them.

I hope you are able to recover from this quickly, and can enjoy some peace for the rest of this year, before your AN surgery in January. You are certainly entitled to that.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:35:37 am »
Sam,
I'm so glad to hear you are home and on the mend!  I hope this is truly the last of your CSF leak woes.  The lumbar drain and headaches sound awful to have endured but I hope the headaches are now a thing of the past.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner but have had problems with leaks of my own, thankfully not CSF,  and have not been on as much as usual the last few days.  I hope you see much improvement every day.  Hopefullly my leaky days are behind me too.   Doi you have an actual date in January yet?

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sammict

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 11:02:20 am »
thanks everyone

Headaches are getting better. I returned to work today it feels good to be back. No date scheduled yet. They want to wait as we get closer to the new year to schedule. Thanks for all the well wishes I will keep everyone posted.

Sam