Author Topic: How long til I feel better  (Read 2381 times)

kathee

How long til I feel better
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:16:58 pm »
Hi

I,m looking  at Cyber or Gamma for my AN.  I have severe balance problems ( falling, running into things,)  and dizziness.  I'm using a trekking stick to get around.  I also have thinking problems, can't spell and using the wrong word etc.  My question is to anyone out there who has had symtoms similar to mine and then had Cyber or Gamma.  How long did it take till you got some relief from your symtoms?

Thanks,

Kathee
Cyberknife done in Phoenix, January 2009

goinbatty

Re: How long til I feel better
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:46:44 am »
Hi Kathee,
Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with an AN.  I had minor balance issues before treatment.  Regarding the thinking problems, I can certainly relate.  I work from a computer and with emails/reports, etc, I typically proofread them at least 2-3 times before sending.  It's amazing how I can be thinking one word and type another unrelated word instead.  The one thing I can say is that when I'm tired, this is worse.  Regarding your question about relief from symptoms post treatment, my pretreatment symptoms were minor and basically remain unchanged.  In my case, the concentration problems are probably a little worse but I've got so much going on here lately, that issue could be attributed to my busy lifestyle, age, you name it. 
Have you undergone consults with the different specialities yet? 
Take care,
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:13 pm »
I am so sorry you are having such severe symptoms.  My heart goes out to you.  I wasn't having near as bad time as you, but it took me three weeks to feel somewhat "normal" whatever that is anymore!  I sure hope your healing is fast and that you regain your old self back quickly.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:46:35 am »
Hi Kathee and welcome.  Good to have you here participating.... ok, let's try to help answer one by one.

1. Cognitive (thinking) issues... it is being recognized that all brain tumor patients (AN'ers, included) run into these issues... and not sure if you saw it here, but there is a new forum for "Cognitive/emotional" issues.  It's a new forum, so discussions are just now beginning, such as handwriting, thinking, etc issues.  You may want to take a look at the posts there as many are noting the same as you.  You are definately not alone on that.

2.  Balance issues post radio-treatment.  As you may know from your research, AN's can affect our hearing/balance, so... regardless of which treatment option you choose, our hopes are that post-treatment, these things will stabilize (or.... possibly resolve).  I have major balance issues related to my AN and another medical issue (non-AN related) and have been walking with a cane/walking stick for years (too young to use one but... I claim its my fashion statement :) )  I honestly don't know of many that had their balance issues cured by treatment, but there are some that note that balance issues had stabilized post-radio.  I do not find that my CK treatment "stablized" my balance, but it seems very tolerable. Over time, for me, I have learned to adapt to it, sometimes use it to my advantage (ie: "honey, I can't bend down to scoop the dog's poo... can you do it for me?" :) )  but most of all... I know I have my cane to help the cause. I do a great job "wall-walking" and in time, my hope is that, regardless of what you decide, that it will calm down for you... and if not... there are ways to work on it (ie: you can do a search here for "vestibular exercises"... there have been great suggestions posted here over the months in the "Balance" forum and other posts).

I hope this helps.  Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"