Author Topic: I am a newbie to your community just found out monday i have Left AN  (Read 5607 times)

TxNurseNoelle

I just recieved diagnosis on Monday that I have AN Lt side will see a Neurotologist on Thursday.. I think I read more articles on this subject than I care to mention and it was so nice to come accross this website and know I am not alone! I was misdiagnosed for a year told the balance issue was anxiety. Had 2nd opinion with another neuro,MRI with contrast and here i am one year later. was wondering how long it took for some of the members to return to work? I have reduced hearing in the Left ear presently, the msmts are 19mm x 12mm and protrudes in the CP angle.

Kaybo

Re: I am a newbie to your community just found out monday i have Left AN
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:42:17 pm »
Noelle~
Greetings from another Texan!!   ;D  I'm so sorry that you have an AN but so glad that you found our happy, little group.  Where in Texas are you from?  I had AN surgery almost 13 years ago when I was 25 so i am living proof that you can get thru this and come out on the other side & live life to the fullest.  Please feel free to PM me (on left) if you would like to chat on the phone - I have unlimited long distance and would love to call you.  You can also check out my blog (address below).  Don't be a stranger - let us help you in any way we can!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:48 pm »
Hi, Noelle:

Welcome to our forums.  I'm sorry about your diagnosis but glad you found this website.  Thanks for posting.

I wish there were a more definite answer to your 'return to work' question, but there really isn't.  To be realistic, there is no 'average' when it comes to acoustic neuromas.  Depending on whether you have surgery or radiation to address your AN, returning to work could be days, weeks, months or in rare cases, never.  It depends on the kind of work you do and how your recovery proceeds.  I'll just trust that the treatment you ultimately choose will be successful, your recovery complete and your return to work, rapid.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:30:45 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 12:47:44 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum,

All of us here are sorry when another joins our fold, but we are certainly meeting you with open arms.  It took me almost a year to diagnose my AN, so I know where you are coming from.  Since you are a nurse, you probably know all of this, or most of it, but be sure to check out this article on the workings of the balance system.  It certainly explains a lot of what is happening to most of us.               http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

You have a small AN, so you may get the choice of Watch and Wait, radiation (Cyberknife, Gamma Knife, etc) or micro surgery.  I hope you look at all of your options carefully. It's very important to choose the best team that you can, as you well know.   You might also check out the cyberknife website. www.cyberknife.com    They have a lot of good information and you can post questions to actual, real doctors! 

I wish you all the best,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

TxNurseNoelle

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:21:00 am »
Thank you to everyone for your kind words of encouragment, there are truly wonderful people in the world, and it helps to know I can talk to someone who understands what I am going through..I will keep you posted as I meander through this process..Hugs to everyone and again, many thanks!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:05:44 pm »
Hi, Noelle  :)

My AN was on the left also and I had it surgically removed (retrosigmoid) about 17 months ago.

I'm glad that you found us.

Good luck with the neurotologist on Thursday.  Let us know how it goes.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 09:08:22 pm »
Hi Noelle,

My first presenting symptoms were balance issues too! 

We've all been there..that starting point filled with anxiety.

The good news is that you have a condition that has several treatment options and a tumor that appears to be right under 2 cm.

Let us know how we can help. 

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:07:56 am »
Hi Noelle-

And welcome.  I found this wonderful group about 8 months ago, the same night of my rather startling diagnosis.  This group has gotten me through the emotional journey of getting consults, sorting through options, preparing for and recoving from surgery.  I can't say enough about the people here.

My initial reaction on finding out that I had a tumor in my head was to get it out right away.  As it was, I was just under two months from diagnosis to surgery - everything fell into place fairly quickly in terms of consults, which helped.  I had three consults, including one from House Ear Clinic (HEI).  They will have one of their surgeons look at your MRI film and talk to you over the phone at no charge.  I was able to speak to one of their doctors within the first week, which was helpful.  I went on to consult with two surgical teams in my area, and opted to have surgery at NYU wiht a very experienced team.  No regrets.

Let us know how your consult tomorrow goes and post any questions that occur to you.  You've found a great group!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:56:16 am »
Hi Noelle,
Welcome to our elite group.  Her eyou will find lots of support. I'm a newbie as well being diagnosed in Aug/08.  This site is great..
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:54:02 am »
Hi Noelle and welcome to this forum.  Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us.  You arenot alone and I hope that will be some comfort to you during your AN journey.  We are here to support you however we can.  I am currently unemployed so I will leave it to others to give you their opinions.  However, each person's outcome from treatment can be very different, so I'm not sure anyone can answer that question with any real amount of accuracy.  The real answer is it depends on what,  if any issues you have,  after your surgery/radiosurgery.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:44 pm »
i am one year later. was wondering how long it took for some of the members to return to work? I have reduced hearing in the Left ear presently, the msmts are 19mm x 12mm and protrudes in the CP angle.

Welcome. Sorry you have to join our group, but we're a pretty good group of folks who have a lot of different experiences to share with others.

Like others have said, so much depends on the size, location and your own personal recovery. I had a small AN (9mm x 3mm) and for me, I returned to work 1/2 time (from home) at 6 weeks post-op and full time (in the office) at 8 weeks. I'm almost 10 weeks post-op now and it gets a little be easier each day.

Good luck.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.