Author Topic: New symptoms and growth  (Read 4071 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
New symptoms and growth
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:02 pm »
I have had some minor growth this past year.  I am having some new stuff going on that hasn't been there in the past.  A couple of weeks ago I was on a walk and my ear started hurting (like an earache).  When I got home I starting having this high pitched noise in my AN ear (tinnitus, I guess).  The high pitched noise (which sometimes I call my "crickets") never stops.  Sometimes it is worse than others.  My ear aches (like a burning sensation) on and off, and my jaw hurts sometimes.  Are these just new symptoms not related to additional growth, or is it perhaps a sign that the AN is growing.  Or do ANs just "act up" sometimes.  I am going to the doctor in a week so I know I will get my answer.  In the meantime . . . . . . .curious to get some ideas or hear similar stories.

Thanks,

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New symptoms and growth
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:29:08 pm »
Nancy:

Just a non-physician's speculation but I would guess that the new symptoms indicate growth.  As you noted, your doctor visit next week will give you the definitive answer you need.  I hope I'm wrong.  It won't be the first time.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:58:25 am »
Hi Nancy! I`ve had my tinnitus for 30 years. It has always been annoying to me some time worse than others. I was told that treatment of any kind most likely wouldn`t help it. Right now I`m doing Neuromonics which seems to make the tinnitus more manageable. Have not had much ear pain but once in a blue moon a feeling of clogness which seems to disipate. Hearing is still ok in AN ear once I get past the ringing! Good Luck, Mickey

otispie

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »
Hi - I was diagnosed a year ago.  I have the same symptoms as Nancy and my ear actually has started aching especially if i talk on a cell phone.  Also, feels clogged sometimes.  And, constant sound in my left ear like you are riding in a car and hear that noise.  I am due to another mri in december - might go sooner -
has anyone heard of the pennsylvania (philadelphia) center for acoustic neuromas?

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:54:19 pm »
Hi otispie,

Just curious about the size of your AN and how it was diagnosed.  Are you talking about the University of Pittsburg?  They are supposed to be the pioneers with Gamma Knife.  I know you will get the info you need here to find a good treatment center.  Best wishes.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:12:23 pm »
There is also a Thomas Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia, where several on the forum have had treatment - both surgery and GK, I think.

Hi, ostispie, welcome to the forum.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.