Author Topic: When was your lifiting restriction over?  (Read 2555 times)

wendysig

When was your lifiting restriction over?
« on: September 11, 2008, 07:51:47 am »
Hi all,
During my first post operative visit my doc gave me all the usual restrictions, no bendiing over, no lifting anything over 10 pounds, etc.  He told me I would be able to start bending over again after four weeks or so, I assumed all the other restrictions would be over at the same time.  A friend told me about a local gym that is having a great promotion sale and decided I wanted to join.  Just to be on the safe side, I asked my doc in an e-mail about the lifting restriction and the advisability of joining the gym.  He told me it was okay to lift a maximum of 25 pounds as long as I lifted with my legs and didn't hold my breath.  I'm not sure what he thought about the gym idea -- he didn't answer that question and I've noticed that sometimes  if he thinks the answer is a common sense answer he doesn't.  So I actually have two questions -- when were your lifting restrictions over and what do you think about the idea of my joining the gym?  As I told him, I don't plan to do anything too strenuous.  I'd appreciate any opinion you have..

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: When was your lifiting restriction over?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:18:21 am »
hi wendy,
i talked to my docs about getting to thegym again when i was 2 months post op. they told me that exercises should be very very light and short at the beginning since through exercise i raise up blood  pressure and the circulation gets more intense.
As far as lifting things they did not allow me to lift up anything during the first months either. I myself felt anything heavy, even the chairs at home, so i had to ask for someone to carry it for me. This was the time i learned myselfhow to carry my purse on the other shoulder since i felt it heavy. It is no longer of course but please wait till you feel you can do it. I think it is better not to fall in any time frames but rather feel it for yourself.

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:46:06 am »
Wendy~
If it is a GREAT deal, you better do it!!  Can you tell I love a good deal??  Chances are, it is a year membership and so you would definitely benefit over the long haul.  There are LOTS of things that you can do at a gym besides all weights.  Is there a pool?  Just a reason to get out of the house (not that you seem to have that problem) and have something to go & do would be reason enough!
It's been too long for me to remember about weight restrictions!!  LOL!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

zeek

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:03:25 pm »
I'm post op 8 months now, and they still don't want me to lift over 50# yet. They say lifting causes your blood preasure to rise to your brain, putting it under stress.

calimama

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 04:52:38 pm »
Would you believe they didn't tell me anything like this Canada! I wasn't really given any specific restrictions, but i kind went with much of what i heard here... no heavy lifting, no blowing the nose.

I have an 18mo old and it was hard to not be able to pick her up (the first week was easy as i was in the hospital). I started lifting her at 3 weeks (sounds a little crazy after reading some of the replies here!), but i tried to so smartly and carefully for what that's worth. I had a good recovery (except for face/vision) and was feeling up to running in 2 months.

Keeping fit is good for mind and body. Take care and enjoy.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:04:51 pm »
Hi Hrissy, K, Zeek and Trish,

Thanks to all of you for your input.  Since Dr. Choe didn' t answer this question the first time around, I sent it to him again.  His answer is no - no gym for the same reason as Zeek's doc.  He just want me to stick to physical therapy and walking -- at least I have that.

Hrissy - I have had an amazing recovery so far and I am at the point where I am  getting impatient..  So much happened at first and now I have hit a plateau.  Nothing has improved physically in at least a week.  I actually feel pretty good and have always been physically strong.  Having to follow these restrictions, while I understand they are necessary, is a difficult thing to do.

K - It really is a good deal and no long term obligation.  One offer is a pay as you go thing for only $16 a month.  That doesn't include any classes, just using whatever machines and weights they have on your own, treadmill, eliptical, stationary bikes,free weights, Nautilus machines,  etc.  and no,unfortunately  there is no pool.  I'm sure once your hooked they try to reel you in.

Trish - I am amazed your doc didn't give you a list of things not to do.  I thought these restrictions were the norm.  I guess things are different in Canada, but am glad to hear you tried to follow them anyway.  Callie is adorable, but I'm sure she can be demanding as all babies are, I know mine were.  I'm so sorry you've had all the problems you have.  How are you feeling?

Zeek - I have a feeling I won't be lifting anything heavier than 25 pounds for a long time but I guess it's all for my own good.

Thanks again,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 07:17:16 pm »
Wendy~
I never got a "list" either...of course, I was so bad off that maybe they gave my family one and we just never had to worry about it since I couldn't do any of that stuff anyway!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

zeek

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 07:50:36 pm »
Windysig: I know about the impatient part. Same thing here. I got a lecture or two on that over time. ha! I won't bore everyone here with my story again, but you can look back at my posts to see what I went thru, and how far I've come. So, there is hope. I wanted so badly to walk as soon as I could. The weather was so fowl that even if I could- I couldn't. But, as soon as I could I walked alittle, then a little more, ect. Now since July or Aug, I've been walking 1-2 miles every evening. Also, this summer I spent as much time in the hot sun as I could to sweat the drugs out of my system. I spent alot of time fishing in the sun and drinking so I would sweat profusely. It felt great!
Then on vacation this summer I spent alot of time in the hotub and pool. I just feel so much better in the heat, and low humidity. To each his own!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 08:05:04 pm »
Docs didn't give me any restrictions.  I haven't been lifting anything, but I have been running almost every day for the past 4 weeks or so, though not very far or fast. With green light from docs.  I guess it's completely idiosyncratic.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
My doctor said it would be over after 3 months after surgery.
Hope this helps.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 01:09:04 pm »
Hi Zeek,
I don't have a problem walking, just a medium problem with balance.  I  usually walk about 2 miles a day (I use a cane).  My doc didn't give me a list either but I saw a lot of things posted here and asked him about them before my surgery.  That was what led to the restrictions, or maybe he would have given me a list of things not to do even if I hadn't asked.  It seems to me the docs should let us know what we should and should not be doing so we don't hurt ourselves inadvertently.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 02:01:17 pm »
A few months is the normal guide line .. the key is not the weight but straining ....from lifting a big bag of top soil , a sneeze, to a BM  :o .. take it easy and slow at first...

if your skinny 90 pounds .. 10 pounds could be a lot .. if your 250 pound weight lifter.. 10 pounds is nothing....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:03:17 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 04:14:09 pm »
Even without restrictions I have been reluctant to lift anything heavy yet.  Or perhaps I never wanted to lift anything heavy.  : ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.