Author Topic: The Importance of Second Opinions  (Read 1443 times)

fbarbera

The Importance of Second Opinions
« on: September 11, 2008, 01:47:10 pm »
This LA Times column, about the importance of obtaining second opinions, resonated with me quite a bit.  When I was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma, the first doctors I spoke with told me radiation was out of the question.  I had to go out-of-pocket for additional consultations to learn that GK or CK were reasonable alternatives.  I do not know why the initial medical doctors did not fairly present me with my treatment options.  But the whole experience did underscore for me how critical it is to obtain more than one opinion when it comes to treating serious medical conditions. 

Doctors, like all of us, are not perfect.  There can be no harm to having more than one doctor look at your MRIs and give you an opinion about treatments.   

Here is the column.  It's about a malignant brain tumor but I think it applies equally to ANs:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lopez7-2008sep07,0,348289.column?page=1

Sincerely,
Francesco

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:49:02 pm by fbarbera »

tenai98

Re: The Importance of Second Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:10:45 pm »
Hear hear to second opinions...if I hadnt insisted on a second opinion regarding my hearing loss, I'd be wearing hearing aids with no clue as to a squatter living rent free in my head....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

sgerrard

Re: The Importance of Second Opinions
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:58:53 pm »
I liked that article. It is sad but true that things other the best interest of the patient can influence a doctor's recommendations. Dr. Medbery on the CK forum reported that at one of the hospitals in Oklahoma, the doctors prefer to recommend Gammaknife over Cyberknife because the GK machine is closer to their office. Yikes.

Second opinions, and some research on the internet, I say.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.