Author Topic: Does the quick blink reflex ever return?  (Read 2749 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Does the quick blink reflex ever return?
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:30:16 am »
I am getting to where I can blink some without my external weight on my lid. It tires quickly. I was wondering do you ever get the ability to close the eye quickly in response to i.e. before your toddler tries to poke you in the eye? or before water can splash in your eye? etc. It is slow to respond to things like this. It blinks SSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLLYYYY. With time will it blink at the same time as my good eye and will I get that protective, rapid blink back?
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Does the quick blink reflex ever return?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:26:10 am »
Great post.... I was hoping that someone could answer too if the eye ever returns to "normal" again after 100% paralysis?
The eye is the BIGGEST PAIN IN THE BUTT!!! I never knew that facial paralysis includes the eye.... dumb dumb I am....
I am here with you and for you Angie.
A great book that I read (wish I could send it to you but it blew off our boat in the summer) is Deadly Emotions and how it affects your health. I will find out the author and let you know. It was extremely helpful for me.
Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

calimama

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:38:27 am »
Hey Angie...

I am wondering about similar issue, what i am calling the Blinkless blink. So my AN eye twitches when the other one blinks (or if i hold the non-AN eye close, the AN eye twitches. So it seems that my eye is kind of trying to blink (or at least it knows the timing/rythm of blinking) but due to the paralysis, the lid does not go down, so no "real' blink occurs.

I wonder if this means that the reflex is still there (even if the movement is not), and therefore that the blinking will come back when/if the eye lid resumes movement.

OH, and Angie, looks like your picture did not load. There is a big X there. Would love to see you...

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:57:34 am »
Trish my wee blink started out tiny and is getting a little bit better with my eye exercises. I do this but only after I saw my facial therapist. She said I have a good bells phenomon (eye rolls back to protect itself) and that is good.
I look down , close my eye as much as it will then push the rest with down with my finger to close it, pause, rest (try and keep it close by relaxing) then squeeze and then slowly open. It really is helping and now I know that the nerve is starting to regenerate I feel I am now on the right track to strenghtening the eye.
Oh still waiting for the doctor's office to call with ny appointment to get the weight inserted.
Michelle ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.