Author Topic: NF2 IN The NEWs  (Read 4977 times)

Dealy

NF2 IN The NEWs
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:32:29 pm »
This morning-8-27-08 I always watch ABC Good Morning America. The previewed a story about a lady from either Iowa or Michigan that was going to lose her hearing after surgery in 30 days. They said it was a rare disease. So I wait till the last minute before I went too work to see if I could see the story. I told my wife that this has to be NF2. I had to leave and finally my wife saw the story. Sure enough-it was about a lady with NF2. She had multiple tumors at a very young age. The last surgery did leave her completely deaf but my wife said the doctor's told her she wasa good candidate for a CI Implant. Did anyone on this site see this story. Thanks_Ron

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: NF2 IN The NEWs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:09:48 pm »
Hey Ron,

I just missed it this am... BUT... I'm on the GMA website and they are showing the video replay;

http://abcnews.go.com/gma

"Woman's Choice: Hearing or Life?
To save her life, Jessica Stone had to lose her hearing."

I can't find the transcript for it (sometimes they offer it) but I did find the exact showing (Robin Roberts presented the story).  Not sure how long it will stay on their site, but  the link above is the only link to see it (for now).

Hope this helps.. and thanks for sharing for everyone!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:56 am »
I looked at the abcnews website last night and under health did get to read it but this am it is gone.           I can understand what she is going thru as came darn close this spring.     It was in Michigan.         So hard for such a young person to have to be going thru.     
I just feel so fortunate that I am the older adult onset with so far only the ANs.             The young ones get the multiple types of tumors and can become very disabled.                I feel lucky that I only have some limitations.
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Dealy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:24:13 pm »
Thanks Phyl and Cheryl R for info on this topic- I always appreciate your input- Ron

NL

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:29:01 pm »
Some of you may have seen this today on Good Morning America, but they did the updated story on Jessica Stone. I just caught the end of it and went to the website to get the full story.

She had another surgery to get the Coclear Implant and it worked. Here's the link to the video replay:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/

It's the first video story today, but if you search for it later it's called "Hearing Again: Jessica's Recovery."

Hope this helps for those who were following the story and may have missed this.

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan