Author Topic: This is going to be the strangest question ever.  (Read 2131 times)

robynabc

This is going to be the strangest question ever.
« on: September 10, 2008, 05:28:56 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to get Eric into a Therapist but we are having some insurance issues so it will be a while.  We fully intend to ask the therapist this question.  But here it is.

Eric mentioned to me that he coughs when he sees bugs.  Now, at first we didn't think much of it but the other night I saw a spider and Yelled( I hate Spiders)  and Eric had another coughing attack.  It seems that spiders are the worst culpret.  I am now wondering if other things set off his coughing.  Like different subjects.  This is so odd.

Now,  I know these nerves do odd things but this is so weird.  Before Eric was diagnosed,  I asked his doctor about how he was walking in his sleep and sleeping with his eyes half closed.  It was terrible   It was getting really bad and almost every night.  He said, "Some people just do that"  But since surgery it is all gone.  There is no doubt in my mind it was the tumor.  And here you go,  I knew something wasn't right. 

So,  I am very interested in what anyone has to say.  I very much doubt the docs are going to think this is true. 

Robyn
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:40:22 pm by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

sgerrard

Re: This is going to be the strangest question ever.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:22:06 pm »
I will go so far as to say it seems plausible. :)

I know that I have an instantaneous reaction to most bugs, which has me jumping away and flailing my arms about long before my conscious mind can intervene and say "it's just a bug." That kind of reaction means something is going on in the body and the mind, involving adrenalin and nerves and such. Maybe it causes his throat to tighten up, or something like that.

I would be curious to hear what the doctors think.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:26:37 pm »
Robyn~
OK...I know that this is a serious post and I do think it is a good question, but I have to share that I read it wrong the 1st time and now I am laughing at myself because it is kind of funny.  I thought that it said that when Eric coughed, he saw bugs!!  LOL!!  Now that would be scary!!

Just had to share...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:32:42 pm »
I read that the same way at first too, K, and thought that coughing might increase the pressure in his eyes. Steve's theory sounds plausible.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

robynabc

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:31:33 pm »
That is funny.  Did I write this wrong.  I have a habit of forgetting puncuation.

I think it is so odd that he gets a throat spasm when he sees bugs.  And no he doesn't halucinate when he coughs. LOL But he has a throat spasm, coughing attacks whenever he sees a bug. 

You know what is also funny.  I almost wrote but rather than bug.  Now that would be weird, even for a teenage kid.  LOL. 

Thanks Steve.  I just think these nerves are strange. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:46:17 pm by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:40 pm »
I don't know if this is relevant but I remember after my surgery my husband and I were sitting on the porch having tea and an ant crawled on my arm (I am not afraid of ants) and I screamed. I jumped up and was totally freaked out, mu husband thought I was crazy.  I thought about it later and believe I had too many things to deal with and the ant threw me over the edge. Kind of like loss of control and feeling so helpless that an ant could crawl on me and I might not know now. I had lost my hearing, my face was paralysed and I was so weak.
Maybe things that make Eric uncomfortable set him off and this begins his coughing fits. Kind of like a nervous reaction. Chart things that set off the coughing and maybe there will be a correlation.
Must be hard being the caregiver. There were times after surgery I could only think what I needed (and had it so eliiquently organized in my head) but could not verbalize it - frustrating for my husband who although trying to make me happy and comfortable was not a mind reader.
Sending supportive vibes your way! You sound like a great mom!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 01:12:21 pm »
Robyn:

Not really a strange question but certainly an interesting question - and one that I cannot answer with credibility. 

I think it is quite possible that Eric's coughing spasms may have a psychosomatic correlation to bugs but this is impossible to prove, at least at a distance.  I believe it would take a therapist with more understanding of the human psyche and the body's reactions to nerve trauma than I possess.  Certainly worth pursuing and I wouldn't allow a dismissive non-answer i.e. "some people just do that" to suffice, either.  This is a serious question and may have important ramifications.  Again, worth investigating and worth getting an answer.  I only wish I could provide one.  I hope you'll have it, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.